1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regression Testing Mileage vs Average Temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 25, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I'm working towards my Six Sigma Greenbelt certification. I decided to perform a regression test using my mileage chart. Below is what I got from Minitab. There are some outliers in the cooler temperatures, but all in all I'm pretty confident that there is a direct correlation between average temperature and mileage.
    [attachmentid=8330]

Attached Files:

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ahhh, polynomial regression with confidence intervals! Way to go, cousin Tony.

But with temperatures based on oF, I am sure you can appreciate how this equation could 'blow up' at more extreme temperatures (esp. negative ones).

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would support my anecdotal evidence. Anything below 65deg and my milage starts to drop significantly. Above 80deg and I begin to have the ability to see 50+mpg using the same speeds and routes.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm thinking that those outliers might be contributed to things such as highway driving versus city driving or even heater usage. Unfortunately for this example, I did not keep data on those items.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tony,

Do not forget about Humidity (less air drag) and Rain (more rolling resistance).

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 25 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]449719[/snapback]</div>
    What is your average trip distance?

My experience has been that longer distances and higher speeds reduce the temperature penalty.

Bob Wilson

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ May 26 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]450362[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going to minimize the possibility of interconnected variables. I simply did not keep records on the dry-ness of each day and humidity and barometric pressure. There is one data point in particular in which there were something like 7 rainy days of the 11 for that tank. The mileage is bad for that temperature.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ May 26 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]450428[/snapback]</div>
    It occurred to me a couple years back that my chart would be much more accurate if I tracked mileage on a daily basis. Then reality/life/sanity hit me. So I decided to continue simply taking records when I refilled.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ May 26 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]450647[/snapback]</div>
    It seems true that on long distance trips at highway speeds, the impact of ambient temperature is reduced. I can see that when driving from the north side to the south side of Chicago. My average trip is 20 miles one-way to work, taking approximately one hour.

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 26 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]450684[/snapback]</div>
    Wait!! You've been to the south side of Chicago, like south of Madison Ave., like south of US Cellular Field?
    I've seen no flares go up in the past couple of years :p .

Wayne

Who is currently relaxing in beautiful Estes Park, CO.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The South Side of Chicago. You know, South of Oakbrook.

:p