1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Relocating the Front Seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by njdudette, Oct 28, 2008.

1. njdudette

njdudette New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm a new Prius owner (1 month) and my back is KILLING me. Does anyone know if Toyota can adjust the rails underneath the front seat so that it will go back farther? I feel like all I need it to go back is one more notch, but I'm as far back as I can go. I'm not a mechanic so there's nothing I'm willing to do on my own, I just want my back to stop hurting.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi njdudette,

Welcome to PriusChat.

The only person I know who moved his seat rails back a few inches is nyprius.

He found a modifier in Billerica, Mass. that modifies cars for the handicapped and some Boston Celtic players.

See post #8 where I quote nyprius about his extended seat rails:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...ost676617.html?highlight=billerica#post676617

If you cannot find a modifier in New Jersey to do the work, you might consider calling nyprius' modifier in Billerica, Mass. If the seat bothers you that much, it seems that it would be worth a road trip to Billerica, Mass. to extend the rails.

And in the following thread, there are 3 pictures of nyprius' extended seat rails:

Custom extended seat rails group order

Good luck.

3. njdudette

njdudette New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, I may have to make a road trip because my back is really bothering me. I rented a Prius prior to pruchasing it and never a noticed a problem, but sitting in the vehicle in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week is killing me. I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with it. Thanks for the info.

4. beckerman

beckerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am 6 feet tall and have no problem in the Prius. Have you tried using a lumbar support?

5. seesfar

seesfar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the same problem with back pain. I installed two 1 1/2" blocks under front mounts (I used nylon rods 1 1/2" dia. but any strong material will do) Changed the angle of seat just enough to stop back pain. Cheaper than full mod of rails and temp. Can be put back to fac. look later. Just have to buy longer bolts can't remember size but easy to find. May have to screw into nut welded into floor and change angle by prizing back a little but easy mod.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found it fairly easy to move my seat back a few inches by shifting into R and easing off the brake just a bit. It only took a few seconds and required no special tools. On the other hand, I couldn't discern any difference in comfort. Perhaps it's because I'm short. :rolleyes:

Tom

7. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had new Roadwire leather installed in my Prius a few weeks ago. When they installed the leather, I had them install extra memory foam in the seat and the seat back to make the seats more comfortable and offer more lumbar support. I drive about 150 miles a day and the seats are no problem now, and I'm 6'3".