1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Relpace 12v Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SyZyGy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Has anyone here replaced the tiny 12v battery for any reason. I would like to put an optima in there because I would like to up the stereo from the jbl. Not just the bass, but the whole thing. JBL is nice, but dont get me wrong. I think it is a little weak.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

We have a few threads on this. Optima is good, but one has reported seeing the vent caps blow open due to heat. This could release dangerous hydrogen gas to the cabin. This is why Toyota uses a vented system to vent the gases to the outside.

You do realize by replacing the factory radio, you lose all MFD and steering wheel control, right?

3. ammiels

ammiels New Member

If you put the car in ready mode the present setup will give +/- 1200 watts forever. The ICE will run from time to time to top up the HV battery which will supply up to 100 amps through it own inverter to the 12v line. The only use for a high capacity 12v battery would be for standby use with car turned off or in neutral.

4. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"68666)</div>
    Dan,

I'm not gonna actually replace the head unit nor add one. It can already display video like from a PS2 and input audio. I'm talking about all new speakers, crossovers, amps, run new wires, and two 6 inch mid-subs with two horns. I'd like some bass, but not like the bass that people are blaring with rap. The stock head unit is all I'd ever want.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ah, misunderstood what you meant by "up the stereo FROM JBL:. Sub should do fine to boost the bass, especially the low end. The center speaker output is mono, so that would be a convenient output to tap for a single sub amp/speaker.