1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reluctant to go into gear the first time each morning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Telkwa, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius with nav package. Always kept in garage. Usually driven 4 or 5 times a week, but recently the car sat for roughly 3 weeks unused. That's when the problem started.

I'm accustomed to the typical 2 or 3 second wait before the gear shift lever sends a signal to the dashboard. What's different now is the car won't shift out of "P". Well, it finally does, but not like before.

After pushing the "Start" button I can hear the nav system starting up (a soft skritchy sound that reminds me of a hard drive seeking data), the typical advisory notice appears on the nav screen, everything acts like normal. But the dashboard gear indicator remains in "P" when I nudge the lever to "R". What seems to be happening is if I press the Start button a second time the dashboard will give me an "R" when I ask for it.

If we go into town to run errands the car will act like normal. Starts up, goes into gear just like it always has. AFAICT the reluctance to shift into "R" only exhibits with the first startup of the day.

Yesterday the windshield wipers were still on when I pushed the "Start" button. The arms dragged across the windshield very very slowly before the ICE motor started . The weather has been cold, the car sat for a few weeks - could this problem be the 12V battery?

2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How old is that 12v battery in question?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Original battery, so about 10 years old. Unfortunately, I've run the battery down hard about 4 times by leaving a dome light on overnite. That probably hasn't helped any...

IIRC the 12V battery doesn't have fill caps so I can't check for electrolyte levels.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Replace it...and Merry Christmas.

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No doubt about it.
    Replace it.

6. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK thanks guys for the quick responses.

Thanks for the Christmas wish! I don't want to sound all politically correct, but I don't want to be non-inclusive either. However you celebrate this time of year, I hope everyone has a happy and fulfilling holiday season!

Ouch I didn't know the 12V battery for the Prius is AGM and expensive. Should I just go to the dealer?

#6 Telkwa, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    dig4dirt and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everyone has a different opinion. some times you can get a great deal online or at an auto parts store or batteries plus bulbs.
    i got an oem for $200.

dig4dirt likes this.
  8. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, thanks, I googled a bit and came across several PriusChat threads discussing the issue of battery replacement. Right now I'm leaning towards taking it to the dealer and paying the price.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pep Boys used to have a Bosch battery, good specs, and dimensionally/functionally identical, but they don't have it any more?

There may be perfectly acceptable alternates still though. Especially considering you're in the States.

Up here Canadian tire has a house brand battery size that's proper size, and a bit better specs. It's been climbing in price, but so has the dealership for OEM. last time I checked the CT battery was around $200 CDN and the dealership price around $275. Likely more like $225 and $300 now.

10. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pep Boys still sells that battery:
    • Part#: 65-850B
    • | SKU: 9073762
    Now on sale for USD119.00. Here's a link for a PB store near me in Salt Lake. Also just saw a link for a PB store in San Jose, CA, so West Coast stores have 'em as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The caps on that battery suggest that it's not an AGM battery -- and I know that one of the chargers I have has separate settings for AGM and wet-cell batteries; this suggests to me that the Prius charging circuitry may not be ideal for that Bosch battery.

12. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good catch on that one; I could be wrong about it. Here's the data from the Bosch (from PB) in my 2010: The website claims that that works for a 2010 Prius.

Part # 51-440BAGM
    SKU: 0647478
    Group Size: S46B24R

Search with those numbers on PB should come up with the right battery. The only vents on mine are the gas ports (one capped) on either end...

...eh, I searched PB and didn't come up with that part number (here in SLC), so perhaps they don't carry it now. Sorry....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It shows up on a W. Michigan PB site for $146.24 with a "promotion."

15. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm gonna contact our dealer this morning. Got a question for the group - will the car dump any settings or tweaks if it takes me a half hour or so to swap batteries?

For instance - years ago someone at the dealership hooked up a laptop and changed the reverse beep setting from that annoying continuous beeping to just one beep when you first put the car into reverse. Will the car go back to default?

I'm debating between replacing it myself vs. just letting them do it, but just for my own peace of mind I'd like to know the answer to this. The car didn't go back to default after the times I'd run the battery down by mistake, but that's not really the same thing as no battery at all.

I imagine that a person could just clip a 12V motorcycle battery to the loose terminals to keep a charge on the car. I don't have one. I do have a little 12V solar panel that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Would that work? I don't know if the lighter is disconnected from the rest of the car when the car isn't "on". It would be easy to test for that. I've got a few cigarette lighter to USB adapters. Plug one in to the cigarette lighter receptacle, plug my phone into the adapter, see if the phone starts charging.

EDIT: I guess I should look before asking. Found at least one PriusChat thread that claims the 12V outlets are not live when the car is off. One forum member suggested connecting a charger to the jump points under the hood. I know where the positive tab is inside that box, but never been sure about where to put the negative lead.

#15 Telkwa, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes it will, though not the end of the world. You'll lose the trip meters, radio presets, very likely the custom reverse beep setting, and the power windows "may" not do one-touch auto-up afterwards. The latter can be relearned: run the window half down (holding the button steadily). Then run right up (again holding button steadily) and then continue to hold the button, for a couple more seconds.

Probably.

The Rolls Royce was to save settings is with a Jump pack with memory saver cable. The cable typically has cig lighter style plug that connects to the jump pack, OBDII connector (with just the power pins), and indicator light(s) to confirm connection.

I've got that setup now, but in the past what I used was a simple, 0.5 amp trickle charger, connected at the jump point before starting removal. That worked fine as well.

This EGR hold-down stud/nut is what I use:

upload_2019-12-26_7-22-25.png
    If you're standing at the driver's side fender, it's on that end of the engine, maybe 8~10 inches from the fuse box.

Another view of it, the EGR valve is partially disassembled, so not quite what you'd see, popping the hood:

upload_2019-12-26_7-29-14.png

17. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, thanks for the pictures.
    Just remembered I've got a little motorcycle battery charger. It's hardly bigger than your typical wall wart. That would probably be better than using the full sized car charger on its "trickle" setting.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's exactly what I used to use, and yes I think it would be preferable to a "smart" charger. Just be careful with the positive and negative connections.

19. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the battery disconnected for several hours and it remained at single reverse beep, but I did lose the trip and radio settings.

20. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, that's interesting you didn't lose the single reverse beep.

I peeled back the layers over the battery. Put a digital multimeter across it. 9.9V

Called the dealer. $330 to have them do it. $210 for just the battery.

The service guy said it might not be the battery. If I pay them to do the whole thing they'll do their diagnostics. I think I'll take my chances that it's the battery. I've found the hard way that the simplest solution is often the right one.

BTW, I followed some PriusChat directions to get to the Diagnostic screen. Didn't work. Our car has NAV. Directions said set the park brake. Two pushes on the Start button with foot off the brake. Hold down the "INFO" button (ours says INFO/PHONE) while flicking the headlights on/off 4X. Didn't work.