1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remanufactured battery options for Gen 1 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bobbwilson1977, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bobbwilson1977

bobbwilson1977 Junior Member

I didn't see any forums for the old Gen 1 Prius ( perhaps not many people own these still) But anyway, we own a 2002 Prius, which amazingly is still on the original traction battery and now at 150,000 miles. From what I've been reading, it sounds like the 150k mark and 8 years is the average failure rate for the batteries in this vintage. After doing some looking around online the option for rebuilt batteries seems a bit murky. There's very few people that do this and of those, the biggest is in the east coast. I'm on the west coast so I assume shipping might be rather high.

Given the car's age and miles and the fact that everything else on the car is also becoming aged, I'd rather keep the costs down to a minimum. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through the motions of locating and installing a rebuilt battery.

Thanks.

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    See if you can locate one in surplus inventory. Perhaps a Prius Gen I was totaled, but the battery is still good. Typical price is $500. Since it is a Gen 1 and not many were manufactured it may be difficult to locate but with the internet it is worth a try.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <AHEM!>
    Source: The Bob Club ~ A Club For Guys Named Bob And The People Who Know Them

Bob Wilson

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :oops: Oops. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

A friend of mine from college used to say something like this "men are like fine wine... they improve w/age...". :)

Anyhow, it looks like we have a second Bob Wilson along w/your someone's who might be your long lost German cousin... ;)

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    LOL!

Actually I alerted the moderators that the new Bob needed a little help finding the right forum. Apparently he shares my weakness for posting first before posting . . . or perhaps a librarian needs to offer their skills to Danny. <grins>

Welcome to Prius Chat 'new Bob'. If you'll search this forum, you'll get a quick view of past practices on traction battery repair:
    • Toyota - turn key, pricy (BEST, DAYS, $2,500-$3,000 depending on labor)
    • 3d party - may not be local, affordable (GOOD, WEEK, $1,750-$2,000 +8 hr labor)
    • order parts, self-swap - saves labor costs but not all that bad (GOOD, WEEK, $1,750 +shipping)
    • whole pack, rebuild, self - a lot of fun for technically inclined, requires workbench, tools, and some skill (OK, WEEKS, $1,000-1,500)
    • module replacement - poor reliability history, often leads to a second effort (POOR, WEEK, $50-500 on each attempt)
    Feel free to ask questions and 'free' advice. <grins>

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  8. bobbwilson1977

Thanks Bob,
    Anyway, I've looked into a few areas towards a replacement. At this point there are two ways I am leaning:
    1: Get a battery from Reinvolt. They're not cheap, but a lot cheap (er) than a OEM replacement.
    The downside: They are on the east coast, shipping will be a pain and pricey as I will also have to ship them the core

2: Rebuild it myself. There's a company not far from where I live ( SF Bay Area) that sells the individual cells. I've read that the process is time consuming. I do have some technical ability and am not concerned about doing this myself. But in the end if I only save say- a few hundred bucks- I'd rather just go for something pre-built.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

When I decided to upgrade my battery, I went with ReInVolt after helping another local boy install his. But having done one battery install, I just had a favorite, local mechanic handle the install, a couple of hundred bucks. Not a big deal but kept me from having to do the heavy lifting.

I understand Luscious Garage used to rebuild them but someone called "Bob the Battery Guy" started scarfing up the modules and running something out of his home. I don't presume to have any direct knowledge . . . this is just from various blog postings. I'm in Alabama, a day-trip away from ReInVolt. California is a little too far for me to have a credible opinion. But I do like the idea of growing local businesses:
    • Contact the 'usual suspects': Luscious Garage, Arts Automotive, and "Bob the Battery Guy" - talk with them, visit if possible . . . it is called 'due diligence.'
    • What you are looking for:
      • What sort of screening and metrics do you do with modules that come in?
      • How are the stored?
      • How closely do you match the Ahr capacity of the 38 modules?
      • How do you equalize the charge on all 38 modules? (Best answer, in bulk at once, less good, individually)
      • What sort of testing do you do once the pack is assembled?
      • What is the warranty if a problem develops?
      • Can I pickup a swap-in pack with a deposit and return the core for refund?
      • The usual business practice questions and BBB reports.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm an advocate for having your own OBD scanner to see what is going on. A new ScanGauge II will run $150 but you'll have to program in your own XGAUGES for the NHW11. I'm also Ebay auctioning in a coupe of days an old Graham miniscanner whose backlight is no longer working, good for daylight live data and/or RS-232 data recording. Having a Prius-aware scanner makes self-maintenance possible. Anything less is an invitation to a very frustrating, long but educational experience.

Bob Wilson

TheDoof likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I think some of those were from Carolyn Coquillette herself on the garage's own blog. BTW, I think her garage is called "Luscious" (part of her program to revise the man-cave image of mechanic shops, no doubt).

If there were a Lucious Garage I would probably give it a wide berth, being a muggle and all ....

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. bobbwilson1977

If I were to rebuild the battery I would simply replace ALL of the cells. Yes- the source I was referring to was
    "Bob the battery guy". I have a number of electronics tools, namely a old, but very well calibrated Simpson multimeter. I would need to get a cost estimate on how much buying all those cells would cost. If its dramatically cheaper I'd just do it myself. If not... might look into getting a Reinvolt battery.

My last thought is given these cars have now been around long enough for cars like mine to genuinely be 'old', about what probability am I looking at for impending failure? Are there many out there like me with an almost 11 year old car STILL using the original battery? As a background, the car spend the first 5 years in the frigid Northeast, where I'm sure the winters were hell on the battery. There is some part of me wondering if I should go ahead and do the math, get the parts, build the battery, and go ahead and stick it in the car? This is our main commuter car. The other is an ancient Toyota truck with well past 250,000 miles. So it would be ideal to be preventative. Then again if I can squeeze another 50k out of the battery that makes the decision more cost effective. We're keeping the car as long as possible until either fully electric or plug-in electric cars become more practical and/or more affordable, which seeing as how its taking a long time might be years from now.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Comments inserted:
    Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great reply Bob. I am also one of those guys with a Gen I running the original traction battery. If my traction battery goes bad, my plan is to simply replace the bad cell(s) and not the whole pack. This is accomplished by obtaining replacement cell(s), cycling all cells through 3 charge/discharge cycles, then hooking all cells in parallel (for balancing) for 24-48 hours, reassembling and refitting the pack. This should give your pack an extended life (but I won't guarantee that). I would use Gen I cells (don't kill me Bob) only because I don't think its a good idea to mix one or two Gen II cell(s) in a Gen I pack. Additionally, my Gen I cells have lasted 11+ years. That's a pretty good track record if you ask me. The cost of fixing your pack this way shouldn't exceed $200 (and could be as little as $40).

The main reason I will do it this way is because I can't see spending $2000 on a new/refurbished pack only to have some other major malfunction (tranny, ICE, inverter etc) a week later. Every day is a gamble with an 11+ yr old car but, I love my Gen I. Its the first car I've had that doesn't leak or burn oil after 100kmiles.

14. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having a similar issue with my 2002 Prius where I have 121,000 miles. I'm seriously considering replacing the battery but I'm worried that there could be other high repair costs within a few years. Thanks Bobs and others!

15. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm two days into my 2001 with 157k miles I purchased for $3600. You guys are scaring me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354669028.535009.jpg I know I took a chance, and I did my research before hand- but Sheez I picked the wrong forum to read tonight. You are giving me a hint of buyers remorse.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

First off, "Don't Panic" (Douglas Adams): Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius | PriusChat

We do not know the ultimate life of the NHW11. My 2003 has 151,000 miles and keeps on running. Until a T-bone accident, the highest mileage NHW11 (2001-03) had over 300,000 miles and taxi companies have done even more. But there are a few things you should consider:
    • Scangauge II or Prius-aware scanner - the $150 Scangauge II has an XGAUGE capability that allows you to put in ~30, NHW11, unique codes to read out things like battery temperature, voltages, e.t.c. I've also put a legacy Graham miniscanner on Ebay. The backlight doesn't work but it is just fine in daylight.
    • Avoid speeds over 65 mph - the car will go 100 mph but as speeds exceed 65 mph, it starts heating parts we want to keep cool. One trip is not going to be a problem but repeated, high-speeds, especially well over 65 mph, tends to stress the car.
    This is a good forum to search but understand many folks who come here bring one or more problems. You've come early and have a chance to gain from 'lessons learned.' Just try to avoid becoming a Prius-hypochondriac. Learn the systems and you'll be fine.

Bob Wilson
    ps. 2003 Prius

TheDoof and C Clay like this.
  17. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought a 2001 Prius with 224,000 in May. The cost of the original investment is almost recouped already just with fuel savings alone. My other vehicle is a GMC Envoy. 20-22 hwy and 14-16 city with the truck. I have never been below 40 mpg with my Prius. The colder weather dropped my mpg, but I still save money! I did some preventative repairs and that cost will be recovered within one-two months with my savings. I was nervous when I first bought this car and now feeling good knowing the car is a wash for money. In a few months, I can laugh at gas stations as I drive by and know my car is continuing to save me money. Never owned a car that "made me money". If a major repair is needed, I will cross that bridge and weigh out my options. I will miss the 60 mpg driving to work in the summer! Might have to buy another Prius when this one dies!
    By the way, I have $4200 invested into this car and running months with no issues. Over 231,000 on the car now. This mileage is low also!!!!! The tires are the wrong size and put on by the previous owner. My speed and odometer reads low and not sure how many miles the car has been run this way. Heck, this car might be well over 250,000 or more. Enjoy your new car and read here to be ready.

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah C Clay, do not fret. All is well in the Gen I world. I have no regrets buying mine.

Britprius likes this.
  19. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks or the encouragement guys! I am pretty darn happy actually. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354751339.711823.jpg And to give you an idea of my background, I had a company gas card for 15 years until this year! My threshold for gas pain is pretty weak! My wife drives a suburban that might get 12 mpg if a good wind was behind it!

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, the Gen I is an amazing invention and an excellent city car (not so bad on the hwy either). I used to have an Envoy (15-20mpgs) and I'm so glad I got rid of it. Now my wife's Hyundai Sonata is the gas guzzler but it still averages about 25 mpgs in the city.

You should read this thread just to get an idea of the versatility of these vehicles.
    Still Amazed | PriusChat
    It's about a Gen II (my other car) but there is very little difference in a Gen II (better display, minor improvement in battery tech, better aerodynamics, slightly better hwy fuel economy, electric AC and more room). I find I get better summer city mileage in the Gen I but better in the winter with the Gen II (no AC use).

There are a lot of things you should do to your car (maintenance wise) such as creating an account on the Toyota owners website (to get the maintenance records) and changing transaxle fluid etc.