1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remember When There Was a Waiting List?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blue Prius Texan, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Blue Prius Texan

Blue Prius Texan Crazy? Nah...just humorous!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anybody remember a while back when there was a waiting list to buy a Prius? I was looking at them back then, but didn't buy one.

Right now, with gas prices fairly reasonable, Priuses seem plentiful. I had no problem getting a Prius this past week.

I'll bet this summer, when gas prices hit $5/gallon, they will once again have waiting lists.

What do you think?

;)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes more than likely.

And then when you're friends are complaining about the cost of filling up their cars, you can smile and tell them it's not a concern to you.

1 person likes this.
  3. britbikemike

britbikemike New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Triple A in Arizona is predicting gas at a max of $3.30 by this summer. My bet is it will not deter people until it actually gets close to $4.00 a gallon!

4. britbikemike

britbikemike New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drove the "in between" from Edinburgh to Bath two years ago in a VW Passat wagon. Nice car but wrong side of the road with the driver's wheel where God meant the passenger to be plus Americans can't get their minds around roundabouts LOL:mod:

5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Ontario, it ranges fro $1.019 to $1.249 per litre
    It think if the shit last February did not happen they would be flying off the lot

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Actually I think roundabouts are great. It's a great way to keep traffic moving. There's one where my son lives in Gettysburg,Pa. and it seems like it's one of the safer intersections, maybe people pay more attention when they're in a roundabout, or traffic circle, as they're called here on the other side of the pond LOL

7. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Way back when there weren't many choices for a hybrid vehicle. Prius is not the only game in town and now you have the electric ones in the mix, so as gas prices go up the whole hybrid segment will be more in demand. Whether that creates a waiting list for the Prii is highly questionable since consumers have many choices now.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes i remember very well and i am currently STILL waiting for a new product that may be just as revolutionary as the Prius was

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember when stations seemed to teeter just below $3/gal? It was like, that was considered the breaking point for everyone. I think since we saw $4/gal people aren't as concerned with $3/gal as they once were.

I, however, always love to laugh and joke that I fill up every other week, and rarely is that a full tank. Then again, how often you fill up also has a lot to do with how far you drive too. For me, that's just over 125 miles a week on average if I don't make any other trips anywhere.

I think once it goes back up to around $4/gal and higher, there will once again be a lot of people trading for more FE vehicles. I prefer to be ahead of the curve when it comes to these things.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    However, the plural of Prius is Prius. ;)

Language police!

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shhh! Don't wake them.

FWIW...

Priuses are more abundant than they were when there was a waiting list. Economics 101. They're cheaper now too. I'm hoping that there are some more big-dollar court cases involving "unintended acceleration" and maybe a few embarrassing recalls. I plan to buy one for a personal vehicle (currently drive a company Prius) in a few years, and I'd like to see the price drop some more. :D

Gas has already been $4-$4.50 a gallon here in the US of A. It's much more in Europe. Been there....seen that. I think the Prius will continue to enjoy strong sales in the US---but it's still not in the top 10 (last time I looked.) Gas will have to go well north of $5 a gallon before the purchase price of a Prius goes from 'reasonable' to 'no-brainer'.
    If the Aichi Iron Works ever markets a Yaris-sized vehicle with the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, with corresponding price and economy boosts---I'll be on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich!!

Roundabouts.
    Looove them! Americans aren't the brightest of drivers though---so they're not real popular here, except with the "zero population growth" crowd. It's a shame. They're really efficient.

One Prius.
    Two Priuses.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it no matter how many citations I get from the self-appointed 'language police'....:cool:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    look again

yes, it is a shame that people are not sure what to do on the "one way" right turn only roundabouts...

but fret not. their popularity as a cheap method for traffic control is rising fast. we have one popping up around here nearly every month.

on my 9 mile commute to work i pass thru ummm...

4 of them and yes, they work waaaay better than the previous option which used to put me at a light that took an average of 10 minutes to get thru during rush hour traffic.

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your willingness to speak against the Prii error!

Happy Motoring from someone who owns one Prius, but hopes to own many Prius.

Tom

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did.
    :confused: The Prius is still not there yet.
    Even if you're one of those people who do not consider a Pickup Truck to be a 'car', despite the fact that they're used as such, we're still not in the top 10 if you remove the F150, Silverado, and the Ram.
    If you don't know very much about cars.....and think that the Equinox and the Escape are trucks...you can knock them off the list too....but it's not going to change the outcome.
    Sorry...:(

The list goes something like this: (depending on what you consider to be an accurate source)
    1. F150
    2. Silverado
    3. Camary
    4. Altima
    5. CR-V
    6. Dodge Ram
    7. Fusion
    8. Accord
    9. Civic
    10. Corolla
    11. Equinox
    12. Escape
    13. Impala
    14. Sonata
    15. Focus

15. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tell me something. Back when there was a waiting list, did it raise the selling price and the resale value or bluebook of the Prius? If so, can you tell me by how much?

16. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember back in the late 1950's when a neighbor had to wait 6 months for the delivery of a VW Beetle.

I also hate roundabouts, as well as those idiotic left hand turn lanes that shut off turning access a quarter mile before the intersection.
    Fascist MVD Pigs!

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting to see the comments about roundabouts. They're all the rage over in the UK and most of Europe. Also better for the environment I'd guess too - why wait at a red light when there's not much coming (even on the ones with a sensor) when you can just whizz round the roundabout. There's no electric running costs either and no expensive maintenance costs either. Once built it's pretty much self maintaining.

Our town has replaced quite a few sets of traffic lights with roundabouts where suitable. Traffic runs more freely and it's cheaper too.

18. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it will hit $5/gallon by August (hope I'm wrong). But since I have my new Prius, it will not impact me like it will the people who drive giant trucks and hummers. Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against those vehicles (I own a truck myself, for camping and moving things). I am just saying that people without hybrids are going to be hurting.

;)

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was on 2 of them.

I remember being in Hayward Toyota, a sales manager excused himself, took a call, kept saying no, no on the phone, hung up and said ....

that was a dealer from Georgia looking for certain model, color Prius.

Search Prius waiting list support group here, you'll find 10,000 posts on that thread.

20. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    6 months for a Beetle. Goodness! Was it because it was a fad...unique and therefore popular car...or for other reasons?

;)