1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reminder: Safety first!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tanglefoot, Apr 6, 2007.

1. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was just involved in my first accident...and it had to be in my '07 Pri. :mellow:

I've been driving $3000 cars up to now and this HAD to happen less than 2 weeks after I took delivery of my first decent car.

I completely couldn't believe it. I had to watch this magnetic gray marvel with dealer plates be loaded onto a flatbed and hauled away.

It was determined to be the other driver's fault so atleast my rates won't go up, but now I have no idea when I'll see my car again and what it will be like. It was still on it's 1st tank of gas! :angry:

I just wanted to throw it out there to definately focus on the road and the traffic in all directions when you're driving your Prii. What good is the great miliage and low emissions if you need large parts of your car replaced? I wasn't looking at the screen when it happened, but I'm going to turn the screen off when I get it back, just as a precaution. Noone was hurt, thank goodness, but I definately wish it never would have happened. I also won't be afraid to use the headlights more, even if it uses up some watts. Also some extra following distance is the best thing you can have on the road. Even if people pull into that space, if you keep that buffer zone in front of you, the benefits are endless. I also found myself showing off the abilities of the car at times. This wasn't the case at the time of the accident, but I definately realize driving as safely as possible is much more important than demonstrating the abilities of the car or trying to maximize MPG.

This happened when I was turning left through a long row of stopped cars. Someone was coming along at a good clip on the right side of the stopped cars (the street had 1 lane in each direction) and smashed into the front passenger side and spun me around. I didn't see them until they were right next to me. I've always been chastised for being too cautious but now I don't think you can ever be too cautious. Most people disregard traffic laws on a regular basis so we always have to do everything we can to stay safe.

Eric

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

Been there myself.

Having said all that, the hazards of driving for better fuel economy are overstated. My accidents have been when I was speeding, I was distracted, or did not catch another distracted driver in time.

Generally, safe driving and driving for better fuel economy compliment each other.

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 6 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]418802[/snapback]</div>
    That's true. I guess what I meant was it's better focus on traffic than focus on the energy flow screen or the drivetrain of the car to try to maximize MPG. I found myself paying too much attention to the car instead of the surroundings of the car at times.

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry for your experience, I hope you weren't injured. The car can be repaired/replaced; humans are a bit more challenging.

My wife and I took the MSF course when we bought our motorcycles, before we ever got on them. The number one safety aspect they repeatedly stressed was to ride like you're invisible; most of the accident statements from motorists involved some form of "I never saw the motorcycle". There's an entire report, ironically titled after the author, Harry Hurt, that statiscally proves this. I ride with this in mind as much as possible; one time I didn't, when I was SURE the driver of a van pulling out of the post office saw me (I thought we had locked eyes), and I wound up performing the asphalt ballet. Because I always wear protective pants, jackets and gloves (and of course a helmet), I wound up with some pretty impressive bruising instead of broken/shattered bones; my elbow at least would have been shattered, since it was the first body part to strike the macadem.

I drive my 4-wheel vehicles this way now also. Even though I feel the Prius is large enough to be noticed, I never overestimate the driving abilities or attention spans of the other drivers.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ Apr 6 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]418794[/snapback]</div>
    So, passing on the shoulder. Good move. I sure hope the other driver saved enough time over the years to pay for this collision. There is an intersection by my office that tends to back up (1 lane all directions, stop sign on side street) where people will pass on the shoulder through the intersection. I do hope that no one was injured. Since the car is 2 weeks old try negotiating for a replacement. Would you rather have totalled a $3000 POS car and suffered some injury? Good luck and keep us posted.