1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote control battery life??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by effieannie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. effieannie

effieannie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a new Prius 2010 owner- love it! One question- I read in the manual you should not carry your remote control near your cell phone since it could cause decrease battery life. Does it matter if cell phone is off? I always carried by Camry remote control in my purse with my off cell phone. Camry is 7 years old and battery still works. Can 't seem to find answer to this. Please help. Thanks

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By remote controller, I assume you mean the key FOB. I don't recall reading anything in the owner's manual saying I can't keep my controller next to my cell phone. I do it all the time; i.e. keep in the same pocket I keep my cell phone. So far no problems, but then I've only had my Prius since May. I'm sure both devices have enough shielding to prevent electronic backwash.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When the phone is off, it won't produce an electromagnetic field, so the key won't be activated inadvertently thinking it's near the car.

That said, it's probably not a big problem anyway - cell phones, even when on, spend almost all of their time essentially off - otherwise, your cell phone's battery would last for only a couple hours, if that.

In general, I'd recommend keeping the key fob away from anything electronic for very long periods of time; so don't drop your purse on top of the TV every night, for example. But if your phone and the fob share a purse for a couple hours a day, that's probably not a big deal, even if the phone is on.

Of course, the worst thing that happens anyway is that you have to replace the battery - so go ahead and sandwich the remote between a computer, a TV, a fluorescent lamp, and your cell phone every single night. If you have to replace the battery sooner than you'd like, well, then you know that you should probably avoid some of those things next time. ;) The warning is primarily for people who have very short battery life in their fob; this gives them some things to try and increase the battery life.

1 person likes this.