1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote engine start install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jim Shannon, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jim Shannon

Jim Shannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So, I picked up a new OEM RES for about $300 shipped this week and looking through the instructions, I can clearly see that it'll have to go to the dealer to have the Techstream software installed. The dealer quoted me $265 for the full install. The quoted $65 for just doing the software, so essentially, $200 for the install since I can't skip the software.

Have others seen price quotes like/around this? Also, if you did it yourself and got to the step where it tells you, "you have 10 minutes to complete steps d-x", do you really have a choice but to have them install since these steps are when the Techstream comes into play and the car is still not completely put back together (so to speak).

Thanks!

2. Billdozer

Billdozer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cant say I have installed one but figured I would share a complaint about mine in case you didnt know. The car shuts off when you open the doors. It sounds very minor but drives me crazy. Seems like it would be bad for the vehicle. When I purchase my prius they were pushing aftermarket but I wanted a factory key fob. If I would of known this I may have considered other options.

3. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I had read that, still want to stick with OEM. Thanks though.

4. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well, I'm going to try it tonight and see if after completing the install that the car can start and get to the dealership where I have an appointment for them to use the Techstream tool to initialize the RES. I'm planning on taking photos of the installation process and will post them soon if anyone else is interested. Wish me luck!

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The OEM R.E.S. comes with a full printed installation instructions and can be found in PC as well.
    Dismantling part of the car to include the new wiring harness is an OK job.

6. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Agreed, got the instructions (though when printed, most of the embedded photos don't show since they're click sensitive in the PDF), download them too, but unlike the post I found here talking through the installation, I don't have a buddy with a PC loaded with the software and the diagnostic tool. I'm fine with installing it, what I want to know is, when I'm finished and at the point where the final set up and software install takes place, will I be able to start the car and drive it to the dealership for this last phase or is it immobilized because of installing the RES inline with the wiring harness?

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The vehicle should run fine, the RES needs to be pair with the internal ECU to operate.

8. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Cool. Now, I just need it to get above 20 or so outside so I can get my garage heated over 50 or so. Don't want to break any clips and it's been stupid cold here the last week. Ironic.

9. riceroni87

riceroni87 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if you went the aftermarket route i couldve helped you