1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote entry questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

The manual may be clear on this but other owners have confused me. Two different owners have told me that they can unlock all the doors with the door handle. I read the manual a while back and think it said that could only be done with the hatch on a 2006. Is there a way to do this on a 2006. Also the SKS remote system does NOT like being washed if you have the key in your pocket. It sounded a couple of alarms from the handle beign hit with water spray...

2. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    On my 2006 using the passenger side handle to put my stuff on the passenger seat unlocks all of the doors. If I just enter from the driver's side that's the only door that unlocks. I may be mistaken, but I believe that I have read that you can change the settings if you want the driver handle to unlock all doors.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    correct you are my Pirate friend.... :lol: Originally the system would only open my driver's door. Then I recall a post somewhere on here about how to reprogram the key fob so it would unlock all 4 doors. it was very very simple and only took one try and about 15 seconds. I'll search and edit this post with a link if I find it. :lol:

here is the info i cut and pasted from darell's EV page:

** Swiped from priuschat.com FAQ **

Smart Entry is user programmable and can be changed to perform in 3 different ways. The following is the layman's description of each option, followed by how to change the settings.

Option 1 (Default) - Driver only on the driver's side, all doors from the hatch or passenger side.

Option 2 - The driver's door can open all doors. I have it set this way as I have a kid in the back every time! It is more convenient to touch my handle before opening the rear door than to use the fob twice, or open my door and unlock all doors, or go to the hatch and do a quick grab (not enough to open) or to the passenger door. This option seems the least conservative of the three.

Option 3 - Drivers door and hatch only open those doors when opened, passenger opens all. This option seems the most conservative of the three.

From your user manual - page 30.

CHANGING THE DOORS TO BE UNLOCKED
    Each time you push the lock button together with the panic button
    on the smart key for about 5 seconds with the hybrid system off, the
    setting for door unlocking will change as follows:

1. Driver’s door unlocking mode: If you perform smart unlocking operation on the driver’s door, it will unlock. Performing unlocking operation on the front passenger’s door or back door will unlock all the doors. When the system switches to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle and two beeps sound three times.

2. All doors unlocking mode: Performing smart unlocking operation on either front door or back door will unlock all the doors. When the system switches to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle and two beeps sound twice.

3. Single door unlocking mode: The driver’s door or back door on which you perform smart unlocking operation will unlock. However, performing unlocking operation on the front passenger’s door will unlock all the doors. When the system switches to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle and two beeps sound once.

GOOD LUCK!! B)

4. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    I thought I had read that. Don't want to change mine since I'm usually getting in the car by myself and prefer the other doors be locked at night or when I'm leaving work late and there aren't many people around. Hey Rangerdavid - I saw a beautiful Silver Pine Mica driving down 5th Street downtown while I was picking up my lunch the other day. Were you by chance visiting Pirate country?

5. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am pretty sure I have mine set so the driver's side opens all doors. Today hubby and I went out to dinner and I had the fob in my purse. He was driving, I was passenger. When we came out of the restraunt, I opened the passenger door and the driver door unlocked too!

From reading the manual, it doesn't seem like that should have happend? It sounds like I have a mix of options. The rear doors never unlock when I touch them. I always put my laptop on the floor behind the driver's seat and I have to unlock by touching the front door handle and then open the rear door.

Any ideas?

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 30 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]326373[/snapback]</div>
    The sensors for SKS are on the front doors and the hatch. By default, opening the passenger front door or the hatch unlocks all doors, opening the driver's front door unlocks only that door. This can be changed, as noted above. The rear doors lack sensors, so you can never unlock doors by grabbing the rear door handles. Note that you don't have to actually open a front door to unlock, just put your hand in the handle.

7. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Oct 1 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]326376[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that is what I thought, but this from the post above made me think that the rear doors could unlock all the other doors. (emphasis mine)

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 30 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]326380[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the hatch door is considered a back door, it's certainly in the back. The SKS sensors (black "rubber" strips) are in the doors I mentioned.