1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Ham Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by schlem, Mar 15, 2013.

1. schlem

schlem Polygeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2012 Prius Three
    Yaesu FT-7800 dual-band 144/430 Mhz with remote kit.
    Trunk lip antenna mount on rear hatch, left side, 6 inches from top edge
    19.7" Dual Band Stainless Steel Antenna
    Remote speaker (under driver's seat)

Goal: no holes, easy to disconnect

Wired straight to battery, with +/- wires both fused
    Mounted in the left-rear cubby- upholstered board velcro'd to plastic
    all wiring tucked and tied

How to mount the remote head on the dash?
    Yaesu FT-7800 Remote Face Mount by schlem - Thingiverse
    [​IMG]
    MORE PHOTOS:
    3D Printed Yeasu FT-7800 Remote Face Mount - a set on Flickr
    Antenna / wiring pictures pending.

I am really happy with this install, and the mount. Probably the nicest mobile I have owned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on getting the antenna cable into the car? Rather than drill a hole, I routed the cable around the rear hatch gasket above the bumper. I am thinking about finding some kind of rubber/silicone tape to bridge the wire, giving a solid seal against the hatch.

Thanks for looking!

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    KE7AJZ : Looks like a nice install..i did more-less the same thing with the coax...at first i went above and around and in from the top of the hatch and went under the plastic covers above the door...but i found out that it wanted to leak around the top of the hatch...so we went to the bottom...into the car from the bottom along the hatch ...like you and it worked out much better...the 7800 is a n excellent rig...you shouldnt have any problem with rf floating around...with +/- going direct to +12v...i have a diamond ant on the hatch...73