1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote-on the culprit--> system in and dead!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bigtex, Nov 27, 2005.

1. bigtex

bigtex New Member

I've installed a new sterero in the Prius, but am having that moment of doom. All set up and no sound. I think it is the remote turn-on switch for both the 4 channel amp and the basslink. I have taped it off of the front 12v socket, though it might be the culprit as I think I might have blown a fuse using the outlet to power an invertor to drill the old stock speakers out. My amps are powered and grounded n the back, but they give no power on light. I am using line-out convertors so I believe they need a proper remote on current. Question is this....

What is the best way to wire the amps to get remote-power on?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I spliced into the wire going into the center console outlet. I did this by removing the 'hidden' drawer underneath the cupholder and felt around to unplug the wire going to the outlet. Then I spliced into the wire and plugged it back in. The spliced wire was then threaded under the passenger seat and through the channels on the side of the car to the trunk.

3. bigtex

bigtex New Member

Presto-- Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I had checked post again before tinkering. I put the remote turn-on blue wire into the 12v labeled end of the lead that goes into the center console 12v outlet. to no avail...... Then I figgetted around and the wire pulled out of the remote switch and dropped onto th live 12v power tap on the basslink amp.
    GOOD news... The music kicked in from the 4x amp for a few seconds while (BAD news)... the wire sparked and shorted something out.

I did a little search on the forum under fuses and found that 1. They are expensive, though my fises look o.k. and 2. that the 12v labelled lead mght be the ground?? and the other the hot ACC tap. Arghhh! now both the 12v outlets are shorted so I have to get this figured out before I can cut splice tap and tune in to the system.

ANY ideas how to get the outlets hot again? I check the 23 and 29 fuses under the dash and they look fine. Later I'll try subbing the spare 15A fuse from th engine fuse case, though I fear something else. I guess a multi meter is in my near future, an early Christmas present?