1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote or smart key does not work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeancprius, Jul 4, 2009.

1. jeancprius

jeancprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! I have a 2005 Prius. Today one key suddenly quit working. The car won't start without placing the key in the slot, nor will it open the doors. I can separate the key manually and unlock the door fine.
    The second key works as always. Can I just replace the battery in the defective key? BTW, it's not near a cell phone or anything that might interfere with its function. Thanks.

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. Replace the battery. It is available for a couple of bucks at most drugstores.

Replacement is straight forward. There are instructions in your owner's manual.

1 person likes this.
  3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the battery is easy to replace, and can be bought at most every drug stores, grocery stores, or other Big Box retailer.
    (it is essentially just a watch battery)

1 person likes this.
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Press any button on the fob. If you do not see a red light flash in the corner of the fob it needs a new battery (or soon will).

Replacing the battery requires a tiny screwdriver.