1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Start and Warranty Concern

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tazman01, Feb 27, 2011.

1. tazman01

tazman01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have concerns that if I have someone install my remote starter other than the dealer, the dealer will give me an issue and complain that since I had an aftermarket place install an aftermarket remote starter, the toyota waranty will be void.

I spoke to the place that installed my remote starters on past vehicles one being a Suzuki and one being a Jeep Cherokee. I never had a problem with the installer and he told me he's installed them on Prius and has experience with them. He also told me he installed them for some local Toyota dealers but wouldn't tell me which ones since he has to keep that confidential (part of the agreement with the dealers).

Anyone have any insight on if doing this will cause me issues with the warranty?

2. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's been discussed on the forum before, but no - they cannot invalidate your warranty due to 3rd party installation of aftermarket accessories. They could make a claim that the modification had an adverse effect on the car, but they'd have to -prove- it, and even then; they are limited to invalidating the part of the warranty that the 3rd party part interacted with (ie: stereo install would only take out the warranty on the OEM stereo, components, and electrical - but the last thing is a stretch).

Generally, if you retain your receipts, see if you can get feedback from former customers - you'd be pretty much in the clear - if their work DOES screw up your vehicle, they are on the hook for it.