1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start + Remote A/C + Alarm

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by EdVed1979, Jul 2, 2012.

1. EdVed1979

EdVed1979 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Heya folks!

So I got my C 4 and couldn't be happier.

Now, the wife wants a few things extra... Remote start for the A/C or heat a few minutes before entering the car and alarm.

I'm asking for counsel here...

The thing I really like is the fact I don't have to ever take my key out of my pocket to lock/unlock the doors... It seems to me that by adding an alarm such as a viper I'd lose that since I'd have to turn the alarm off. Meaning that I'd have to take the alarm controller out of my pocket and deactivate it. Am I right?

The second thing is: I spoke with someone today who seemed pretty confident he could install a remote start for $250. I plan to tint my windows there as well ($399 for the 3M crystalizer, all 5 windows). My question is: will that remote start

1- Start the engine only
    2- Start the engine AND the A/C
    3- Won't start either
    4- Start the A/C in auto for Summer A/C or Winter Heat

Any answers are much appreciated.

Cheers all :)

2. EdVed1979

EdVed1979 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  3. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure the answer to those questions and will have to defer to someone with more tech savvy than I possess.. Sorry :(

4. hur00003

hur00003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, i thought that it would be possible, especially since you can remote start the Prius Plug-in. But i don't think anyone has really tried.

5. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would be really careful with who you allow to do the install on the electrical options you think you may need. Just a word of caution. The Prius is a pretty technologically advanced car. One short or wrong connection and you could be in it for some big $$$.Your questions would be better suited for the professional who will be doing your install. Just an observation.. :)
    For what it's worth.

6. EdVed1979

EdVed1979 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you Silver. I definitely will ask these questions to the guy tomorrow. Hopefully he knows what he's doing...

7. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would get EVERYTHING in writing that he is going to do. If he can't put it in writing (including warranty) you have chosen the wrong alarm installer. Personally I would not let anyone work on the electronic system of my Prius unless it was a Toyota tech at a dealership. Check with your dealer to see if this has any impact on your new Toyota car warranty if the guy shorts out your dash or your headlights quit working. Better safe than sorry later.

Extreme advice, maybe.,...crazier things have happened. I am just sayin......;)

Good luck.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It is a remote starter control module manufactured by Toyota linked straight to the wiring harness of the Prius line. Sold and installed by the Toy service dept. It does required the use of their TIS computer to merge the new electronics.