1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote start?////????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fred, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fred

fred New Member

i m sure someone of our great forum has explored remote start possiblities. this may be a question for doc efusco, danny and a few other of the resident geeks (meant in a complimentary way of course) what were the results iwonder:confused::confused:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easy answer is...forget it. I believe I heard someone found some means of accomplishing it, it was no easy task and less than ideal.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There don't seem to be any remote start devices that are designed for the Prius. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to adapt a standard remote start, and expect to eventually succeed.

There are two areas that trip up a conventional install. The first is the keyfob system instead of an ordinary key. There are all sorts of worries and theories about how to get past the keyfob system. The simple answer is that there are multiple security systems in the keyfob, and the transponder one is identical to numerous other systems. A standard immobilizer bypass can be used with a transponder that has been removed from a used (cheap) Prius keyfob. Just have the car programmed for the keyfob transponder before removing the transponder from the keyfob.

The second problem area is that conventional remote start systems are designed to manage an ignition switch, starter, and an engine that starts within a few seconds of activating the starter. The conventional remote start bypasses the ignition switch, and applies power to the ignition circuits when it decides to start the car. This sort of theory may work on the Prius, but I doubt it. What is required is adaptive logic to emulate the actions of a person starting/stopping the car.

All of the remote start installations that I've been able to learn about used relays for additional logic. I designed a relay logic system with 6 DPDT relays, and was still not happy that I'd covered enough of the logic. I've abandoned the relay logic design, and decided to use a PIC microcontroller to handle the logic conversions. This is a task for an electronics designer, or at least an electronics hobbyist. The typical car electronics installer generally doesn't have the skills, and certainly doesn't have the time for a custom designed system like this.

4. fred

fred New Member

great responces. thanks very much

5. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only way I can think of installing a remote starter in the Prius would be to isolate the ICE from the Motor. Thus the Prius would only have the ICE running, which defeats the whole purpose of the Prius! ? A redundant system would have to then be installed to return the car to it's intended operational mode.
    It could be done, put would this not confuse the ECU? Would a secondary ECU be a fix if it could be programmed to except input from the remote starter and then transfer all information to the primary ECU when returning to 'normal' mode?
    Technology has transformed us into a society of very lazy people. While the nicety of such things as remote door locks, power windows, hands free operations, and a gambit of other such things is a wonder; "we" ask for so much more than we can reasonably expect.

6. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Remote start was included as one of the dealer option packages when I bought mine last year, so something must be available that works. The remote start was listed as $950 or so retail.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's right ... pricy.
    You'd do better to give $500 or $600 to someone to come over & just start it for you :p

8. lplate

lplate New Member

The Toyota remote start has a limited range, something like 50-75 feet which makes it a little impractical - having to be so close for it to work. After-market remote starters have a much longer range. An additional module is needed if you have the Smart Key system ($80) and the R. starters run from $250 on up. $300 gets a 1500' range.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you have to isolate anything? If a remote start has
    a couple of dry-contact relay outputs, it would be easy enough
    to simulate the fob-insertion switch, and then a start button
    press. The only nit is that you'd have to have the RFID guts
    of a valid fob mounted in close enough to the reader in the key-
    slot assembly to get read, but I'll bet lashing it to the top
    of the reader assembly would suffice. With smartkey, you'd only
    have to leave a fob someplace inside the cabin but that carries
    the risk that someone could find it and just use it to start up.
    Note that by doing any of this, you'd be lowering your immobilization
    security to that of the remote start system, as opposed to the
    stock key system. A close look at how good the remote start
    system is would be prudent.
    Also consider that better fuel economy comes from firing up the
    system and then almost immediately driving away, gently, to
    keep battery currents reasonable until 1st stage warmup happens.
    At that point you might as well get in and then start the car.
    _H*

10. lplate

lplate New Member

Aside from all the good comments out there on this topic, ranging back several years with answers anywhere from "It can't be done" to other more complex responses, I have a Clifford in mine and it works just fine. Yes, couple hoops to jump through but can be done in the Chicago area for $300 and up, depending on the range needed.
    L.

11. itsmejto

itsmejto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota part number
    PT398-47091 remote start.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's for a Gen3 (2010+). Any success stories for Gen2?

13. RickH

RickH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These forums appear to be populated by VERY opinionated people.. Here is my 2 cents. Just because a car did not come with a remote start system, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve one.. Or that the owner doesn't deserve one. If you want to be a PURIST, then so be it, it's YOUR right. However, DO NOT pass your opinions off on others, people come here for help NOT to be put down by your selfish opinions.. I myself have only owned one vehicle with remote start, my 2017 Edge, and I LOVE it! If wanting my car to be warmed up and free of frost/ice BEFORE I get into it, makes me lazy, then SO BE IT. Technology is here to help improve our lives, and make life easier on us. If you prefer to do things the hard way, don't let anyone else stop you, but STOP posting useless opinions when someone is asking for help. Obviously, their opinion is NOT the same as yours.. Sorry for the rant, I realize this is an outdated thread, and the choices now are many, it just irritates me when a thread is used for being opinionated and not for helping others with valid questions..

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no worries, thanks for your opinion :cool:

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    RickH, the last post was in June 2011. I wasn’t even on this board yet, but I hope we’ve shaped up by now....

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In 2008 having a remote start was a problem/controversy. 12 years later and it's just another option. Controversy these days has moved on to how big a battery is big enough.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, no opinions on that :cool:

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading @RickH's post I went back and reread the entire thread. I don't get the idea of any opinions expressed to which the poster alluded. I guess it is a perception thing.

But I do agree in general, posts should help and not derogate.