1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by amberlea, Nov 30, 2004.

1. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wasn't sure if the remote start would work on the prius since it is a hybrid. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if it will work?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A pure guess would say no. I also want to know if there is an answer.. so i'm posting to keep this topic on the board of recent topics :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure there's some way to do it...but it won't be easy, cheap, or any of that.

4. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Actually, I'm curious as to what the benefit of installing it would be. In a conventional car, I can see it because you can start warming up the car earlier... but the Prius doesn't work that way. What am I missing?

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'll say that at -10 F or -15 F (maybe -20 F, it's not been that cold here since I was a kid), it's kinda nice to NOT get in a -10 F or 15 F degree car!

From the warmth of your kitchen or living room, one could get the car going, warming the interior, then get in after 5-10 minutes and drive warm, instead of having to run out, start car, set heater, run back inside, thaw fingers, etc. I know the southern climates may not 'get it', but ...it's a comfort thing.

I'm an ex-installer of such devices and would wonder if something could simulate applying power to the 'power' button remotely. That's all that would need to be triggered as there isn't a 'start' wire that the car uses to crank the starter motor (Prius doesn't even have THAT). The car then starts 10 or so seconds later. Would it require a pulse to get things going or a constant 12 volts? hmmm...

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

I think it would definitely work and the cost would be about $600 dollars for the dealer installed. It was offered to me when I bought the Prius but I turned it down.

Here's why I know it will work. When you start the Prius with the outside air 35, the engine does not start right away but just sit there for awhile and it will. If the inside A/C is set for 74, it will stay on to bring the car up to 74. It may go off and on, thereafter, but the car will try to keep itself at 74.

My last car had the remote starter and I loved it and I swore that I would always get it on future cars. But I didn't because my daughter pointed out to me that here I was buying a super clean fuel efficient car and then putting on it one of the most fuel ineficient options money could buy.

I looked into it and she was right. I won't do that again, regardless of the convenience.

7. Pixie

Pixie New Member

No, no, I totally get it (born in Wisconsin, so I know from cold :) )... I just wasn't sure if the remote start would cover cabin climate control since the car was designed to warm up as you drive instead of idling first. I haven't sat and waited long enough to find out, I guess. :)

8. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ok, so it can be done?
    exactly how much is it polluting the environment while ideling?
    As far as I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong), the heater would need to be set at a higher temp before you turned the car off at night so that it would try to warm up when you started it the next morning to that specified temp. BUT, doesn't the heater heat by the engine? If so, I didn't think the engine would kick on until so many minutes after the car was started with battery? when you start the car- you'd just be starting the battery since you would be idling- doesn't it just use the battery while ideling. so in turn the heater would never really kick on until the engine came on
    Do I have any of that Correct????

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amberlea\";p=\"54136)</div>
    I don't think we've established if it can be done...but surely there's probably some ridiculously complex way to accomplish it...It may be as simple as accessing an open pin on an ECU somewhere, but it will not be any conventional remote start system.

Next, the cabin is heated by 2 small electric heaters...a little bit. But most heat is from the ICE. The ICE always starts 7 seconds for Emissions control heat up and ICE warm up and any necessary HV batt. charging. It'll then run intermittently as needed. If your temp setting is high enough it'll eventually get there, but may take a while.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

being that the immoblizer uses a chip in the fob I doubt that it's an easy install at all. If you powered the pin on the computer would the power back into the immoblizer damage it. Yes some times it's nice to get into a warm or cool (A/C) car, this one isn't going to be easy.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sure it CAAAAN be done.

OPTION ONE:
    If you have a SmartKey car . . . Place said key -minus the small metal key - in a lead lined box with a remote lid which also has a “finger†on the lid. Strategically pace box on dash to allow contact between finger and “Start†button. Place a remote control plunger in front of brake pedal.

Push “Rube Goldberg†remote button.

Once car is pre-heated. Approach car and manually unlock door with small metal key as all Prius remote functions are inoperative.

OPTION TWO:
    (No SmartKey) Get rid of lead lined box and use a second remote plunger to insert key into dash slot and also push “Start†button.

OPTION THREE:
    (Depending on your status)
    “Hooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy, Pllllleeeeeeeezzzzzzzeeee go start my caaaaarrrrrrâ€

12. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well just recently released in Japan... I quit not sure how much

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you have a new career over here installing the stuff they get over there that we can't over here.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't see how you can remote start without having the key fob in the the car (or slot without SKS). The transponder ECU communicates encryptically with the HV ECU. If you replace one, you have to match it with the other through some steps, so they are linked. That is the whole point of the immobilizer and the great security with the Prius.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"54284)</div>
    Unless the remote starter sends the encrypted message itself once it recieves the signal from the remote control. But yea, seems complicated...unless Toyota planned ahead and it's part of the 'hidden' functionality of the HV ECU--like the EV button was in the US. It may be there and all we need is someone to ship us the parts from Japan...

Anybody know anyone who lives there??? :wink:

16. prius04

prius04 New Member

My dealer told me it could be done. However, as we've all found, dealers tell us things about the Prius that are totally not true all the time.

As for the heating. This morning the outdoor temperature was 45. I went in and pressed power with my foot on the brake and then turned the heat up to 84 just to remove all doubt.

I went back in the house and 5 minutes later, my car was very toasty. So if the car can be turned on, it will definitely heat the car up real quick.

As for the electronics. If the electronic FOB can be bypassed in some way so that an electric start can work, doesn't that also mean that maybe our cars can be stolen more easily than we all thought?

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The only way it would work, is if the remote starter was special with Toyota, and integrated with the immobilizer security as SKS does. I am sure the secure communications is similar to secure web browsing, using certificates, and/or possibly rolling code communications that can only be initialized once at installation of the associated module.

18. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone want to do us the favor and take everything from the Japanese webpage and turn it to english so we can read it? or.. a short summary of every part and how to order them? oh.. and prices :)

20. bube

bube New Member

[font=Arial:61cb0241e3] [/font:61cb0241e3]
    Hope you are enjoying your new Prius. I haven't got mine yet, but having a remote start is really important to me. Did you ever get a definitive answer as to whether there is a way to put one in? It gets really cold here, and I've had a remote in my last several cars, and I can't imagine being without it. thnx