1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote/Timer for EBH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by david81, Feb 12, 2008.

1. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just placed my order for an EBH through the Shop (don't even have the car yet, but I will VERY soon) and I'm hoping to set it up on a timer for the work week. The problem comes from the weekends or non-work drives. I may be lazy, but if it's 10 degrees F outside, I don't want to go out to my detached garage to override the timer.

Seems like this would be a perfect solution...

Remote Control Programmable Indoor Timer

With this, I can have a regular timer running for the work week, and then override by remote from the house on the weekend before going out.

Any thoughts? Anyone used one of these or similar?

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    sorry, no help here. I just dont plug mine in on weekends because I never know when I'll be leaving the house, but I do know when I won't be..... any time before lunch !!!!:D:D

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a digital timer that is similar, 7-day programmable, etc. I just don't have the fancy remote...that would be nice if it's not line-of-sight since I sometimes want to turn on the EBH and don't wanna go out to the garage in my skivies.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I put Fiona in the garage each day, I plug in the EBH & set the green peg on the timer to come on at the appropriate time for the next day. If you go out every day, this system should work. OTOH if your plans change, then I guess having a remote would be nice. My garage is attached, so I can just step out into the garage & reset the green peg.

The thing I did get & really recommend is a contractor grade extension cord because the plug lights up when it is energized. Then I know at a glance if Fiona is feeling the heat or not. And because I am a chicken with electricity :eek:, I like knowing the power is off when unplugging (or plugging in).

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second that! I keep an extension cord in my car that I use to plug in at work and it has the little LED in the plug...it's handy b/c, at work, sometimes the little ground fault breakers have been open and if I don't see a light I know to reset it.

6. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use a relatively inexpensive outdoor timer, mounted on my shed, with an extension cord running to the Prius. I can see the timer from the house. What makes this timer interesting is that it has separate programs for weekdays and weekends, AND it can be set to be manually off or on. So I have different times for weekends. But I usually manually turn it off when I get home on Fridays. That way I can control whether the EBH gets power at the timer. But the last feature of my timer is that it has two plug-ins. I plug a LED Night-light in the other plug spot. That way (if it's dark out) I can look out my window and tell if the EBH is on. Here's the timer I have Intermatic Timers - Consumer Outdoor Timers - Digital Timers - HB88RC (I found it at Lowes for $20).

7. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the EXACT same one I have! lol, I also got it from Lowes. GREAT idea about the nite-lite! Thanks. :cool:

8. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got back from Hawaii on a cruise. Really missed my Prius-shut off the easy start before I left. No problem when we got home.

9. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It looks good, but I would have two concerns. First, it's indoor, so that means it can't handle much more than the occasional splash. Hopefully your garage is fairly well sealed and you will mount it high enough to prevent accidental contact with water. Being indoor, it probably also has a limited temperature range. Second, hopefully your garage is close enough to your house for it to work. It says 130 ft in open areas, so if you try to use it through a couple walls, windows, and/or doors, you'll never be sure if it worked, at least at a distance of >20-30 feet.

I bought an outdoor one at Target for ~$15 and the tabs are fairly easy to set at 15 minute intervals. You can set it on more than one cycle per day. I'll usually have mine set for a later hour than during the week, since we don't often leave the house early on weekends. And it doesn't matter if the switch turns on both at 5 AM and 11 AM on Tuesday. If the car's not plugged in at 11 AM, it's not drawing power anyway, so I don't care if the timer switches on. I can generally turn off the 5 AM program on Friday when I unplug the car.