1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote wire for an amp ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bigtino85, Mar 4, 2012.

1. bigtino85

bigtino85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my last car my amp required a wire to be threaded to the radio deck (its the wire the turns the amp on and off with the car). everything I am reading about the Prius with everyone else's installs either don't talk about or i missed it. now does the Prius not require the remote wire?

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the PIAA foglamps I had on my isuzu rodeo was first incorrectly wired directly to the battery, there was a little light on the switch to indicate whether the fogs were on or off and overnight it would drain the battery. the car was then correctly wired to the ignition, problem solved, so its possible you don't have to wire it to the back of the radio, there may be an easier place to wire it to, hopefully someone will help you out.

amp in a Prius? I have one word for you: Optima

3. niteryder

niteryder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have the JBL system, you can tap into the remote wire on the factory amp. I used the gray wire, on the white harness closest to the rear passenger seat.

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have a JBL system or even if you do you can use a device like the Peripheral Electronics LVT which uses speaker wire or constant 12v/ground signal to create a 12v switched power supply for your amp. A lot of high level to low level output converters come with the LVT built in now. They are fairly cheap too. Simply use a couple of t-taps on the rear speaker wire and BAM! RCA outputs to your amp and a 12v switched power supply.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0015G3V5Y?tag=priuschatcom-20www.installer.com/pdf/lvt.pdf

5. truff13shuff13

truff13shuff13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I spliced my remote wire into the power outlet at the bottom right of the center console under the glove box. It turns off/on when the car is off/on It works great for me and the plug still works.