1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remove passenger seat but airbag sensor attached?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Drewintoledo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ive removed my passenger seat from my 2015 v but when I tried lifting it out I was stopped by a wire connecting the seat. I noticed an airbag warning label on the wire

My question: Is it ok to disconnect this sensor to remove the seat while I perform some work?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but disconnect the 12v auxiliary battery negative/ground terminal first. Wait about 20 minutes to be sure that all capacitors are completely discharged, then it's safe to disconnect/connect wiring to the airbags.

On second thought, it's the sensor, not the airbag, so it might not be necessary to disconnect the battery. It's just a sensor to detect the weight of the passenger on the seat. It doesn't have anything to do with triggering the airbag.

#2 xliderider, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  3. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's along the lines that I was thinking. If the sensor says it's off, it shouldn't matter anyways. Thanks for the quick response. I may get brave tomorrow and just pull it!

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Disconnect the 12V battery. You don't want to see whether you get and stay lucky.

xliderider likes this.