1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing a dash kit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slapstick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. slapstick

slapstick New Member

My Prius came with a wood grain dash kit that looks great, but I'd like to remove just a single piece of it that I don't like. Its actually the piece around the nav. screen that I don't appreciate as much :).

I've been reading up and noticed that you can remove these pieces by reheating and peeling them off. However, there is potential damage to the dash from using solvents to remove the glue remnants.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success doing this with their Prius or any other car, without damaging the dash?

2. slapstick

slapstick New Member

Just in case anyone is interested, or if someone wants to do it in the future, I WAS able to remove the piece without damage to the dash.

I used a heat gun to heat the piece and peeled it off with my fingers and a little plastic wedge (DON'T USE A SCREW DRIVER OR ANYTHING METAL). To get rid of the remaining tape residue I used rubbing alcohol. I tested some Goo-Gone on a little plastic piece inside the car and noticed it was eating the plastic. So I don't suggest using anything stronger than rubbing alcohol.