1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing carpet and rear seats

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Basildane, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

Looks like I'm going to need to pull all the seats out and the most of the carpet to get in and install shielding.

The front seats look easy, but I don't immediately see how to remove the rear seat assembly.
    Also, has anyone had any experience getting under the carpet, especially on the driver's side?

In advance I'm saying: trolls will be totally ignored.

Thanks for any legitimate advice!

2. D0li0

D0li0 New Member

Simply pull up sharply on the front edge of the rear seat to remove,
    then rotate the front edge up, there's a catch/hook at the rear.
    The rear seat backs must be unbolted, but that's obvious once the
    bottom has been removed.

Shielding? What kind of shielding? shielding from what?

3. prius2go

prius2go Member

If you do get the carpet out can you take a photo of it out flat :)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

Thanks for all your responses.

As to "what", I am going to install nickel plating to shield from EMF.
    When I bought my Prius, I read that the EMF was "comparable to other cars", and I believed it. I was lied to.

I tested it myself and I was shocked to find it at 100 mG in parts of the passenger compartment.

It has been demonstrated that 3 mG stimulates growth in cancer tissue.

For perspective, I drove to a high tension power line running through the state.
    I stood directly below the tower and measured the field - 50 mG. That's the kind of tower you can almost feel the power flowing through. The kind you don't want to live anywhere near. And there is DOUBLE that level of EMF in the back seat of my Prius, where my kids sat.

So, I'm going to try and lower the levels. If I can't get it down, I'll be selling the car.

P.S. In Sweden, the max allowable EMF level is 1 mG...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 1 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]519960[/snapback]</div>

You took that apart in 30 minutes!!! is that correct?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hubs has disassembled and reassembled many, many prii. ;) he used to do it for a living.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Basildane @ 2007 10 01 18:25) [snapback]520090[/snapback]</div>
    Is the Prius sold in Sweden any different? How has it met the regulations?

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little learning is a dangerous thing. How did you determine the source of the field that you measured?

The Earth's magnetic field strength at the surface is between 0.3 and 0.6 gauss, that is, 300 to 600 mG. Do you propose to shield that also?

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    100mG!!?? Was that average or continuous? What state(s) was the car in?
    How/where did you take this measurement? Was the radio or stereo on?
    What type of Gauss meter did you use? Is it frequency-weighted?
    Have you taken similar measurements in a non-hybrid vehicle for comparison purposes?

(Sorry for all the questions, but this is certainly an important topic, IMO)

Oh and by the way, has anyone tried this product?

http://www.tachyon-energy-products.com/ext...prius-disks.htm

10. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Basildane @ Oct 1 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]520090[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know much about the health effects you're touting, but Gauss is a unit of magnetic field strength. EMF is what? electromotive force (volts)? electro-magnetic field (watts per square meter)? Might your kids have left a magnet in the car? Got a citation for the cancer risk and Swedish prohibition?

I do know the MG produces some observable EMI. Tune your AM radio to a noise only frequency, turn up the volume, and watch the energy display. You'll here a whine each time the MG comes on.

11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Oct 1 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]520153[/snapback]</div>
    Tachyon energy disks? I asked Scotty and he said it was a completely inappropriate application to shield the battery compartment. He would put them over the radiator to shield it from the heat robbing solar winds.

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Oct 2 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]520170[/snapback]</div>
    Scotty? I thought he got beamed up already, no? Anyhoo, found this in a different forum:

http://www.fixingtheplanet.com/emfs-electric-vehicles

14. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 1 2007, 11:52 PM) [snapback]520138[/snapback]</div>
    LOOK. I already said this once. NO TROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO I DON'T PLAN TO SHEILD THE EARTH, BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO.

i CAN STAND IN MY DRIVEWAY AND MEASURE ZERO.. READ THAT AGAIN. I SAID Z-E-R-O mG FROM THE EARTH.

I GET IN MY PRIUS, STILL READING ZERO. TURN IT ON, AND BOOM, THE GAUSSIMETTER JUMPS TO 100 MG AND STAYS THERE THE WHOLE TIME THE PRIUS INVERTER IS ON. TURN THE PRIUS OFF, AND THE FIELD DROPS TO ZERO AGAIN.

TELL ME WHY THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE EARTH? ON SECOND THOUGHT, DON'T TELL ME. I DON'T CARE. I MAKE THE DECISIONS FOR MY HEALTH.

BYE.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By zeroing your Gaussmeter in ambient you are ignoring the Earth's background field, which is about three to six times stronger than the car-produced field you are worrying about.

Have you shown that the source of the car-produced field is the drive system and not, for example, the CD changer or the radio? The ferromagnetic steel frame of the car already provides a lot shielding between you and the drive system. You may go to a lot of trouble and expense adding metal and find that it makes little difference.

The less expensive solution is probably to take your Gaussmeter and measure other makes and models of cars, sell the Prius and buy a car that alarms you less.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Basildane @ Oct 2 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]520250[/snapback]</div>

I'm still curious. What type of Gauss meter do you have? Is it Trifield? Is it frequency-weighted?

17. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Basildane @ Oct 2 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]520250[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly nothing we say will convince Basildane that he is mistaken on his assumptions about the energy fields (or lack thereof) in the Prius nor of the dangers (or lack thereof) of those energy fields.

Now that Basildane has stated concerns about various energy fields that he believes to be present in the Prius, I hope he realizes that questions about how he determined this and why he feels the way he does are not necessarily "trolls" or attacks on his reasoning or decision. Many of us just want to make sure that others who encounter this discussion thread aren't mislead and are aware of the process and reasoning used so they can make educated choices for themselves.

While I think it is important to make sure that others who encounter this discussion thread are made aware of the facts that counter Basildane's assumptions, we should probably not address comments about his process, reasoning, differing opinions, or mistaken facts directly at him. He has already demonstrated that he considers to be "trolls" those who express to him differing opinions, and has stated that he will be ignoring anyone he deems a "troll". Therefore it is unlikely he will give serious consideration to any such comments.

This said, what he is looking for is information, advice, documentation, and assistance in the process of removing the interior of the car and then putting it all back. It would probably be best if any comments directed at Basildane contain information that will assist him with this process, regardless of his reason for doing so.

18. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Oct 2 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]520340[/snapback]</div>

Actually, I consider your comment to be "baiting".

I would be happy to answer your question about how I came to my conclusions.
    You didn't ask. You all simply attack like horse-flies. And I've seen it happen many times on this forum. That's why I thought long and hard before I posted here.

As for the readings, I measured them myself using a tri-meter.

As for the shielding, the information comes from my friends at NASA who know how to shield satellites.

As for the medical evidence, it comes from several sources, including the EPA, the Swedish government, the NIH, and other single professionals such as Dr. Mercola. (see his website)

As for the decision on what to do with the information, it is a judgment call on that I and my wife will make based on what we perceive the threat to be, how much we believe the evidence, and what the remedy would cost us, and how effective we believe the remedy would likely be.

If you are actually interested in a reasonable discussion on this, I would be happy to participate.

I expected flames right from the start, and I got that.

And I also got the information I came for, which was VERY helpful. How to get the carpet out.
    Once again, I thank everyone for that.

I should have not responded when someone asked "why". That was MY mistake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Oct 2 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]520340[/snapback]</div>

It is NOT frequency weighted. FYI. And I made the tri-axis computations myself.

19. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Basildane,

I can't speak for the others, but I am very interested in your concern and your measurements.
    Which is why I ask all these questions. No baiting here. I have a young child myself, and if there's
    even a remote possibility that this can be a health issue I certainly would want to understand it fully
    and do something about it.

So, will you attempt to create a shield of some sort? What kind of material will you use?
    Where will you put this shield? Can you measure to see if the HV battery emits more EMF
    than the electric motors?

Why are you interested in removing the carpet under the driver's feet? Are you planning to
    shield the firewall as well?

Thanks in advance for any updated info.

20. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Oct 2 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]520394[/snapback]</div>
    We didn't start out planning to test the Prius. We were doing a survey of some equipment in my house when it occurred to me: I should see what that car puts out. I had read that it was "comparable to other cars", so I never really worried about it.

So I powered up the car and the Gaussimeter jumped. The levels vary widely in the passenger compartment.
    For the driver, the vital organ area is not bad, around 3 mG. As you go up in height, the level goes down. Toward the head it is low. This makes sense because the high voltage cables are below the driver.

As we started to move down, the levels went up dramatically. At the seat, I measured an average of 8 mG.
    At the knees, 15 mG. Near the feet, upwards of 50 mG.

Then we moved to the back seat. The whole back seat area was hot. Greater than 50 mG.
    But it spiked on the driver's side to around 100 mG. This is where my son sits. Right on top of the cables that go through the deck under the car.

Next we tested from a fixed test point (the driver's seat), and monitored changes during acceleration, deceleration, idle, power off. What we found was that the levels are pretty constant as long as the inverter is in operation. When the car is at rest, the level drops to near zero.

Heavy acceleration did not cause the level to rise significantly above the level at normal driving.
    Deceleration sometimes caused the level to fall to zero, if the ICE shutdown.

At idle, the level was usually at zero. I mean, background level, around 0.02 mG.

Now for some perspective on what those numbers represent.

We drove to a major interstate high tension transmission line and parked and walked under the tower with the Gaussimeter. I'm talking the BIG towers. The kind that they don't build houses near, they are clear all around. I measured 50 mG on the ground under a tower.

Consider the EMF in the back seat of the Prius is twice that you get standing under the high tension power line.

I already know from other matters that Sweden has set the limit for the public to 2 mG.
    The USA would have done the same, but the auto manufacturers prevented it.
    I don't have the data in front of me, but I think Russia's limit was 0.2 mG?

Next, there are studies linking EMF to childhood leukemia, adult cancers, and lots of other unpleasant side effects. It has been shown the a 3 mG field will promote the growth of cancer tissue. (I don't think they found CAUSE cancer, just promote its growth).

Next I asked some friends what they do with spacecraft and satellites.
    Well, I can't afford gold foil for the Prius, but a most effective magnetic shielding is nickel plating. That I can afford.

I am going to shield just one section, do a repeat test to see how effective it was, then decide on what to do next. I first plan to pull the driver's seat, and install plating under the carpet.

If you like, I would be happy to report back the "before and after" results. It will probably be a few weeks.

Does this help?