1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Carpool Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Silver_Prius_2006, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Silver_Prius_2006

Silver_Prius_2006 Junior Member

I know this is random but I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove their CA carpool stickers from their car? I have unused stickers and am hesitant to slap then on at this point, fearing new legislation against the program. I just want to know if these things are impossible to remove, without doing damage to the paint. Thanks!

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What are you afraid of? That new legislation is going to send you to jail?

Seriously, though, they won't damage the paint. The stickers, however, will be destroyed by removing them.

3. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver_Prius_2006 @ Aug 17 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]498078[/snapback]</div>
    Current legislation is good till 2011, I think. I don't expect this to change, even with all the hand-wringing about the number of hybrids in the carpool lanes. So I think you are "safe" applying the stickers.

4. Silver_Prius_2006

Silver_Prius_2006 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 17 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]498095[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. "Safe" is probably the wrong word to use. I just don't want those ugly stickers on there if they're going to be invalid in a few months. Car looks better without them, and I just had 1700 bucks worth of body damage repaired.

Cheers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Aug 17 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]498149[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stickers are technically good until 2011 but I have heard that the feds may force CA to shut down the carpool lanes to hybrids if they determine that the flow of traffic has been seriously impeded in those lanes as a result. The jury is still out...

5. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver_Prius_2006 @ Aug 18 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]498490[/snapback]</div>
    I don't honestly see California booting any hybrids out of the carpool lanes anytime before 2011. If you're referring to the "45 mph rule", there are other ways to accomplish this goal, such as cracking down on carpool cheaters and raising the carpool occupancy (from 2 to 3 persons, for example). Caltrans' own reports don't seem to indicate that hybrids are clogging up the lanes.

Yanking the stickers off will reveal a sticky film with the words "VOID" running all over. The sticky film can be wiped off with window cleaner, rubbing alcohol, or Goo Gone. (Be sure to test in an inconspicuous place, though.)