1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing center mirror?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by egg_salad, Oct 31, 2017.

1. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One of the minor annoyances that came with my "new" '08 is a sloppy loose rear-view mirror. It goes out of adjustment if I so much as look at it funny.

The problem is clearly at the ball-and-socket joint where the mirror housing meets the stem. However, I can't tell if the problem is the ball or the socket, so I'd like to replace the whole shebang. Problem is, I can't make out how the stem attaches to the glass. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Oh, if it matters, this is the standard mirror. No HomeLink, no auto-dim.

Thanks.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most windshield mounted mirrors have a "beveled" metal plate glued to the glass........and then the mirror stalk slides over that and is secured by a very small allen-type set screw or two maybe.
    Look carefully around the edges of the part that is up against the glass.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, hex set screw on the lower edge of the mirror base, against the glass. Loosen the set screw until you can slide the mirror up off the base.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    [​IMG]
    Here is a photograph of the area, taken from the dash looking up. If someone can point out this Allen screw, I will buy them a hot dog.

5. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Looks similar to my Chevy Blazer. I found that it has a spring tab that you have to disengage then the mirror slides right off. Heres a video link that shows one on blazer. Should be similar