1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Hatchback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 220kMiles, Oct 13, 2022.

1. 220kMiles

220kMiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Due to a small rear ending accident, I want to replace the entire rear hatchback of my 07 Prius.

I found a replacement hatchback that matches color online for $100. But here is the trouble...I haven't been able to find any links or videos of how to replace the entire hatchback.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience on this?

Any help I very appreciated!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You see the rubber boots between hinges ? I'd loosen the hinge bolts pull down headliner carefully undo all connections. Push connections thru boot hole. Cut a 2x long enough to go from bumper top to hatch . Undo struts remove hinge bolts .I put my knee near 2x grab hatch on sides lift up n away. Set on grass.nothing breaks if it drops on dirt grass.

220kMiles likes this.
  3. 07 Prius

07 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey 220Miles, did you manage to do this? Also need to change the entire trunk but zero videos on how to do so! Did you by any chance make a video if you did do it?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Entire trunk? Hatchback ? Or 01 to 03 sedan?..

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to both poster's profiles they both have a 2007.

6. 220kMiles

220kMiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am still planning on doing this. I found a local junker that will sell the entire hatchback for $150. However, I have not done it yet. I will report back here once completed.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Follow the instructions that that I put up there and that's the quickest way to get the hatch off without it falling over twisting etc unless you have another person you can skip the 2x4 and use one hand each something like that I like to use a 2x4 because it just holds the hatch up while I undo the bolts and then it can just the hatch can lean in the little cut out where the hatch normally is closed in and then I can walk around and just pick the hatch up off the 2x4 the 2x4 falls on the ground and the hatch gets set down wherever I put it

8. 220kMiles

220kMiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Success!

I went to the local junker and picked up the entire hatchback for the Prius for $150. I watched the guy take it off and then followed the same steps at home. Thanks to TomBukt2 for the steps and encouragement to do it.

Here is what I would add to Tom’s post.
    tip: wear mechanic gloves to keep headliner clean.
    1. Open hatch back and loosen plastic parts on both sides to ease headliner process. I highly recommend the little plastic tools you can get to make this step easier.
    2. Loosen little rubber boots between hatch and roof. Left side boot is for window washing fluid. Right side is all electrical.
    3. Remove 3 plastic studs from headliner and slowly pull down. There are some foam spacers that will need to be pulled down. Just pay attention to which piece is in which side. Disconnect rubber hose for window washer, wiggle and pull. Make your way back, gently pushing headliner down, until you see 3 electrical connections. All three have squeezable lock piece. Squeeze and pull connection apart.
    4. Feed electrical and hose lines through openings before removing hatchback. There are some
    Little plastic pieces that hold the electrical wires in place. I tried to save them, but zip ties could work too, or just skip it and let the wires rest on headliner.
    5. The piston part that holds hatchback up has a small metal clasp to keep it from coming off. Insert small flat head in and push it up. Once clasp is removed, keep pistons in place! It will help keep hatchback in place.
    6. Under the headliner are 4 bolts, size 13mm for socket. *do not loosen the green bolts you see close to the hatchback hinges! It will make replacement more difficult.* Loosen them up but make sure you keep one on, or the hatchback could fall.
    7. Get a helper. One person can hold the hatchback in place while other person removes last bolt. Once loosened, both people move to sides, lift up and away. You will need to pull the pistons off, raise or lower the hatchback to make it easy. It is not very heavy for 2 people. Gently put on ground, I recommend a blanket if on hard surface.
    8. Install new hatchback and follow process listed in reverse. Line up the hinge bolts in advance for the correct angle. If you have a 3rd person, they could jump in and put the bolts on. The sooner you reattach the pistons, the better, it will hold the hatchback up.
    9. The small clasp will need to be added on again. The clasp takes some work, but align the metal with small slots on top of the piston, then stretch the other side of the clasp over to line up with slot. Once lined up, with a little effort you can push the clasp down into position.
    10. Put everything back together and for headliner and weatherproofing strips, use little plastic tools again to gently put them in place.

Side note. The new hatchback trunk release button didn’t work well. So I ended up taking it apart, cleaning it and replacing the old destroyed rubber (which was causing the poor function) with a piece of old bike tire cut to size.

Everything works like a champ. I hope this helps and gives you the courage to try it.

#8 220kMiles, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. 220kMiles

220kMiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Adding some photos.

[​IMG]

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will need to make one more post before you can post photos.