1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Inside Rear-view Mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ronhowell, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

I would appreciate if someone could give me some insight into removing the interior rear-view mirror in the Prius. There appear to be some screws holding the ball unit, with a plastic cover for cosmetic finish. I want to install an eyebrow window tint strip, and would find it much easier to do without having to negotiate around the mirror.

Comments from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Ron.

2. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You must pop the plastic cover off the base. There is a tab on each side that attaches it to the base It is best to use something made from plastic to pry it off. Once you pull that part down, there is a tab that you press and slide the mirror up and off of the mount.

Attached Files:

3. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OutOfHere @ Oct 28 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]531764[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the input. My email is [email protected]. Would appreciate copies of the pix you mentioned.

Cheers. Ron.

4. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You will need a T-15 screwdriver and it comes right off. You can get the screwdriver at Sears / Home Depot or Lowes

5. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BuddyL @ Oct 29 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]532123[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I had replacced my mirror with a auto dimming model and then replaced it with an auto dimming with compass and forgot the original did not have the T-15 torx screw but had the little plastic thing that Outofhere describes. My apologies.

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks to all.

Solved the problem. The mirror simply slides off by pulling upwards to the rear. A spring loaded clip clamps the whole mirror assembly to a grooved attachment built into the windshield. Very simple, no tools required. Knowing how it is attached is key.

Ron.

OBJUAN and Sezy like this.
  7. charlievet

charlievet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Ron! Your method works perfectly well for the Prius III, as it has a spring-clip, too!
    Charlie:)

8. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Going to try this and take the mirror apart further to help with rattles from my subwoofers.(y)