1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Lovebugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TNPapa, Apr 20, 2007.

1. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    My wife and I will be going to Florida mid September. Lovebugs are very destructive to finishes. Other than having a bra installed, what is a good procedure to remove the lovebugs without damaging the finish? Thanks in advance.

2. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

You can find the bug protection sprays (I think RainX makes one) at auto parts stores/Walmart that you spray on the front of your car. They leave a washable film which prevents the lovebugs from sticking when they splat and makes them easier to wash off. Easier and less messy than the old petroleum jelly or car wax coating that we used to do...

3. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Apr 20 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]426643[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh MAN those things are ANNOYING!!

Check out how they marred my beauty's finish. The yellow ones are especially hard to clean off!!!

Attached Files:

5. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had to give this thread a little bump because I put some effort into making that picture for your entertainment, and wanted to make sure people saw it. :D

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 20 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]426739[/snapback]</div>
    It's hysterical.

What is a love bug, anyway? The real kind...

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the lovebugs should try the backseat instead of the hood, first removing any sharp articles of clothing and most body piercings. :eek:

Nice picture, Ichabod.

8. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 20 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]426742[/snapback]</div>
    And here to tell you all about it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

9. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 20 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]426748[/snapback]</div>
    Love bugs are what their names imply. Look like small firefly, but if they are not removed within 24 hours from you car, their acidic juices can eat right through the finish of your car.

10. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 20 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]426693[/snapback]</div>
    Heck I'll give it a bump....nicely done picture Ichabod! (sad to say it was type of 'lovebug' I thought of prior to reading the post :) )

11. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks!

From the wiki entry I noted that it mentions dryer sheets as useful in cleaning them off, and that if you clean them quickly and don't let them sit for hours, there's less chance of damaging the finish.

Also by way of trivia, they're apparently not "true bugs," as they belong to the order Diptera, not Hemiptera.

12. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Apr 20 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]426759[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I just didn't take the time to look it up.

We don't have them up here, at least not to my knowledge or what the entry reflected.

13. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I believe that they really belong to the PITA order. Hard to remove them in time if you are driving down 1-75. I think that they were invented by the IRS as they are harder to remove than a tax lien.

14. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Apr 20 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]426643[/snapback]</div>
    Full marks for creativity, but that avatar of yours is gonna give me nightmares. :eek:

15. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
  16. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 20 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]426693[/snapback]</div>

Nice picture, worthy of another bump

17. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I made the mistake of leaving the love bugs on while I drove around Florida for a couple of weeks. Their acid content ate through my finish almost to the bare metal. Our local detailing shop said that there was nothing they could do and I had the third blue Prius with the same issue.

I've lived in Florida for a while and not had this problem with my Dodge Caravan, Volvo S80, Chevy Blazer.

I'm wondering if the Toyota finishes are more susceptible to the love bugs?

In any case, does any have any estimates as to what it costs to repaint the hood?

Thanx.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David,

Sorry to hear about that. Don't know how much it typically costs to repaint a hood. But for protection against love bugs next season, I hear good things about that aviation polish/wax Rejex:

RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

I'm going to try a bottle myself even though there are no love bugs here in NYC.

19. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have lived in Florida for a long time and have to contend with the love bug, usually twice (a few days each time) each year. I have tried all the commercial products that I know about. I finally found a viable solution a few years ago. It may surprise your neighbors but it works. I place my car in the drive way, attach my water hose to the oscillating lawn sprinkler and let it go back and forth over the front of the car for an hour or two. You obviously have to regulate the water pressure so that it only covers the car to the top of the windshield. After an hour or so I simply take a sponge and wipe the bugs off.
    I have left bugs on various cars down through the years. I did have some pitting on a car 20-25 years ago. I have found that usually a few days does not do any damage. It probably depends on the age of the car, the quality of the paint, and most of all on the amount and quality of wax that is on the car.

20. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Several years ago I lived in Florida and I learned a "fool-proof" method of dealing with love bugs.

Take slightly dampened paper towels (Bounty-styled, not the brown cheapo's ripped out of rest-rooms:D) and place them over the front edge of the hood/bonnet and wherever the love bug carcass' are located.

Now, just wet down the towels a tad bit more and let them soak for about one to two hours. After the time is up, remove the towels and wipe off the softened bodies and dirt.

Easy. And it saves water.