1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing nav connector pins

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by electricitylikesme, Nov 30, 2005.

1. electricitylikesme

electricitylikesme New Member

Has anyone got any tricks for pushing the pins out of the N3 connector on the Nav unit in a Prius? I don't want to cut the harness since it'd be too difficult to recrimp or solder down there, so has anyone managed to get the pins out and if so what was the trick to it? (just trying to shave some time and pain off here).

2. c4

c4 Active Member

Do yourself a favor and log onto the Toyota technical site, spend the $10 for the subscription and download the schematics and repair manuals.. It will be the best $10 you will ever spend: among all the other useful information that will provide answers to most if not all of your future questions, the entire set of instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble the pins and terminals in all the different types of connectors as well as details on the tool needed are in the manuals..

The short summary however is that in most cases, the pins are held in the connectors in one of two ways: 1) a removable "retainer" in the connector that you simply lift out to free the pins or 2) a locking tab on the connector or on the terminal that you have to lift with the special service tool..

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, how do topics wind up so parallel on here and over on
    prius_technical_stuff? Unless you're the same person, in which
    case my answer should have rolled in just about now.
    _H*

4. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I'm curious what he's up to. Is a new mod/feature in the works?

5. electricitylikesme

electricitylikesme New Member

I am the same person over at Prius_Technical_Stuff asking basically the same questions. I'm installing a mini-ITX as my MP3 player in the car - nothing fancy :)

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm. Nobody thought of this, but instead of having to get hard to get molded connectors, one only needs to get the mating pins and fabricate insulation around the lose ones.