1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Plastic piece holding head rest

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by northwichita, Apr 1, 2008.

1. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    today I decided to just take apart the passenger seat, to modify it. I worked on removing the seat cover (original) with its assortment of connectors. The last piece that doesn't snap off is on top of the seat, it's the piece the head rest is mounted on. I don't want to just rip the seat fabric. Has anyone taken this piece off? Thanks Northwichita

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have done it on a Corolla seat that I bought off Ebay. Its a b!tch to get the two plastic pieces for the headrest out, mainly because you can't see what you are doing.

The plastic piece fits into a metal tube inside the seat back. You have to reach up inside the seat back, feel around for the bottom of the plastic piece below the bottom of the tube. There are two plastic tabs (one on each side) that prevent the plastic piece from going up thru the metal tube. Feel around till you find both of the tabs, squeeze like holy hell (I think I ended up using vice grip pliers) and push the plastic piece up thru the metal tube. Once the tabs are past the bottom of the metal tube, you can pull it out from the top.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, judging from the diagrams in the Prius Seat Assembly/Disassembly Instructions, it looked difficult for the Prius too.

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks all for fast response. I did get it, it was hard even with knowledge how to remove it. Getting my hand as close to the base of the piece to better compress the tabs is one thing that helped me, and tugging on the top. Thanks

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The hardest part for me was squeezing the plastic tabs enough to get them past the bottom of the metal tube. I couldn't get enough pressure with my fingers.