1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing the 12 Volt battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SATraveler, Apr 1, 2011.

1. SATraveler

SATraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does one remove the 12 volt battery after the + and - cables have been removed. There is not much room to get the battery out. Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to unbolt the brake power supply which is the rectangular black box near the 12V battery, and also remove the traction battery ventilation duct that runs over the 12V battery.

2 people like this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Amazingly, the service manual instructions don't mention removing the brake backup power supply, but it does make removing the battery much easier.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I still have not found the trick to taking off the + terminal red plastic cover. I'm planning to take Patrick's advice in another thread and just leave the damned thing on while I unscrew the bolt underneath.

1 person likes this.
  5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are 3 "claws". Two are on the sides, one is on top. The picture in the service manual helps:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's easy to bend the cover up to access the hardware, but dogfriend kindly provided the instructions to remove the cover if that is necessary.

The difficult part of the job is not dropping the bolt which attaches the traction battery ventilation duct to the fender, into the fender well after everything else has been reinstalled. I did that, but fortunately my magnetic wand was able to find the bolt without me having to remove everything to get to it.

1 person likes this.
  7. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One other trick I used to help on the install:

Instead of removing the negative terminal from the battery, I found it easier to remove the ground cable where it bolts to the body.

It is also easier to install the negative terminal and torque the fastener with the battery out of the car.

To avoid the other end of the cable accidentally touch the body of the car during the install, wrap it with electrical tape and leave the tape in place until you are ready to reconnect the cable to the body.

1 person likes this.