1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing The Cup Holder Lid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by IH8Zombies, Mar 30, 2011.

1. IH8Zombies

IH8Zombies New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I finally picked up a cell phone cup holder so I could dock the Android and tether the millions of cables (two) for power and audio when I ran into a roadblock. The holder has an expanding base so it can fit into any size cup holder. Perfect! Except that if I try to use it in the "top" cup holder that has the closing lid, it never quite expands to fit because the lid offsets the interior dimensions. The holder fits fine in the lower cup holder, but because of it's size and angle for the phone, it presses it too close to the armrest so it's essentially a no-go.

Long story short: Anyone know how to safely and easily remove the lid cover for the top cup holder? :confused:

I felt around on the inside and it almost feels like each of the round-ish hinge pieces has a tab or something essentially holding it in place, but no amount of fiddling allowed me to remove it.

2. ksbf

ksbf New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am also trying to figure out how to remove the lid. My 3 year old has somehow jammed my cellphone into the cup holder and now the lid won't open and I can't get my phone out!

Adrian Ng likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As far as I can tell, follow steps 1 through 8 to remove the cup holder. Whether the lid can be disengaged at this point is hard to tell, but my guess would be "yes."

Attached Files:

branvan likes this.
  4. ksbf

ksbf New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info! I think I'll wait til morning to try this one. Looks like it might be easier to do in daylight. Thanks again!

5. guicide

guicide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012. The hinges on the lid each have a screw holding them in place. I took the center console completely out and then they were obvious and easy to remove. I wanted a little more space for my wife's 1 litre soda bottles.

6. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the post. It helped me get the cup holder cleaned up.

7. Adrian Ng

Adrian Ng New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The exact same thing has just happened to me, except the 3 year old person is also me.

8. Adrian Ng

Adrian Ng New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a very quick and simple solution to this without having to disassemble the middle console. I used measuring tape (the retractable ones) to hook underneath the front of my phone and lift it up. Just need a little bit force and the phone pops right up again.

9. jojaplm

jojaplm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG you are the best for sharing this! I just did the same thing and tried for an hour with every tool I could think of to lift it out. The end of the tape measure did the trick. THANKS!!