1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing the rubber section in wheel well?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aridon99, Jan 5, 2006.

1. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi folks. I purchased a one day subscription last week to the Toyota techinfo site looking for documentation on how to disassemble the rubber section inside the front wheel well. I need to remove this part to get to the raw metal so I can slap on some dynamat deadener.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can give me.

-John

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you find the manual sections about removing the wheel well liner? What will sound deadener do for you outside the cabin?

3. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Bill, I couldn't find the section that has to do with removing parts on the outside of the car. If you can point me to the right section, I would be grateful.

Putting deadener on the outside to try and put a barrier between the source of noise (wheel hitting road) and the inside. It's like wearing a Kevlar vest on the outside, to protect the parts inside ;)

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My complaint with the wheel wells (2001 Prius) was always that gravel sand etc. that is lifted by the tires makes a lot of noise there. Quieting the wheel wells would make a big difference sometimes.

5. Lather

Lather New Member

I don’t know if I would put dynamat in the exterior wheelwells. I'd be worried about extreme temperatures or high pressure sprayers. Plus, with large concave surfaces, you're more likely to get air bubbles.

I used dampening paint & dynamat on the interior of my car. (Floor, wheelwells, doors - any bare metal I could find). The only road noise I hear comes from the tires and/or the thin metal & plastic pieces under the car & ww’s when it snows or rains (I don’t drive gravel roads). I’ve got a few cans of undercoating but haven’t had time to apply it. When I do, I’m not going to remove anything, just deaden the pieces that make noise.

When I undercoated my last vehicle, the undercoating seemed similar to the sound dampening paint. Except for the price, I didn’t have to spend $60/gallon.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just installed the front end mask. It requires you to remove the edge of the liner and replace one of the fasteners with a snap that you snap the edge of the mask on to. The fasteners are 2 part clips pry the center portion out with a screwdriver. There is a slot between the two parts. When the inner portion is out the outer clip just pulls out. The liner then just comes out with a bit of pulling. That is the outer edge. I am not sure about the inner edge as I did not have to mess with that edge. Look at it. It might well be the same.