1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

removing visor stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mookie60, Apr 2, 2004.

1. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

has anyone had any experience removing the warning stickers on the sun visors? you can pick off little pieces, but it won't peel off even if you get a corner started.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For a MR2 Spyder, hope this helps.

From pinmagic's post over on www.spyderchat.com:

"Use Goof Off, not Goo Gone. Place a paper towel (doubled) on the sticker. CAREFULLY and slowly pour Goof Off onto the towel until it's soaked. Let it sit for about 15 - 30 seconds (really can't recall), then remove it. The sticker will be bubbling. PEEL, do not rub! You can use a small screwdriver or somesuch to lift the sticker.

When you're done, the vinyl will be puckered and look awful, but it reverts to the original condition by itself. By the next morning, it should be fine."

3. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

since the prius visors are more of a velour type fabric, rather than vinyl, does it make a difference?

thanks,
    john

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a good question and one I cannot answer. I hope that gives you a starting point, though!

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Using a tip posted at yahoo (forgot by whom), I removed the visor warning stickers with a "medium-hot" iron and a damp washcloth, from 2001 Prius. Washcloth in contact with the sticker, apply iron for 30-60 seconds, then peel with fingernail. Repeat, etc. Both stickers took me about 1/2 hour. Now they are gone, but the rectangular indentation in the visor fabric is visible. Strictly speaking this may make the vehicle illegal to resell, but I am planning to keep it until it don't go no more.

DAS

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I posted this response earlier when the question came up, about a month ago or so, so I apologize for repeating myself, but I thought you might be interested in an alternate solution:
    I carefully measured the dimensions of the stickers. Then I used Photoshop on my computer to reproduce color photos of a Hawaiian triggerfish, for which my car is named. You can use virtually any image: family photos, flowers, animals, drawings, etc. I printed them out and used very wide clear packing tape to "laminate" them. You can also go to your local print shop and have them laminated; use the thinnest lamination. Lamination both protects the image and keeps them stiff so they look better. I stuck them onto the visors with double sided tape'.
    Use as little tape as possible; just at the corners, so that you can remove your photos if you want to replace them with something else, or restore the visor to its original positon, with less chance of accidentally tearing off part of the warning sticker. I understand the need for the warning, but the angle of the windshield makes it almost impossible to read the visor. The warning should be on the backside so you could drop the visor down and read it easily.
    I think there is probably some justification for leaving the warnings on the visors and merely covering them. I'm reluctant to try removing them for fear of botching it and having a torn label or ripping the visor itself. One poster mentioned the possible illegality of removing them should you decide to resell the car.
    As an alternate: I used AutoCad and created a mock warning sticker that, at first glance, looks like the original until you read the fine print which warns the occupant of the possibliltiy of being compressed to the size of a watemelon should both front and side air bags detonate simutaneously.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I suppose following that approach you could just get a couple of sample swatches of the interior fabric and stick them over the stickers :)

8. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

thanks for the laugh!! :mrgreen: