1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing wheel covers & driving w/o

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JEFNLSA, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Just picked up a 2008 Super White w/ Package #6 & Desert package (tint etc..). Car only has 500 miles on it and the wife already curbed the rear driver's side wheel.:tsk: Anyway, took the cover off (thankfully the only part she scratched) & realized how good the wheels look w/o the cover. Kinda sporty like an aftermarket type wheel. These are the 16" 7 spokes....since I'm new here, have any other members just run the wheels w/o the cover? Is it common practice or are the majority of you guys w/ these wheels running w/ the covers?

TIA,
    Jeff

2. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the look of the touring wheels without the covers, but it may be better for you to leave them on if your wife is going to continue to drive the car.:)

3. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Drop the covers and add a sharkfin! Both are great looks! Congrats on the Prius purchase. My wife also curbed mine so I decided to take them off too!!

4. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL, I agree, and even she said maybe we should leave them on until she gets used to the car. Just wondered if it was taboo amongst the Prius crowd to run w/o the covers. IMHO, it really does look better w/o the covers...kinda like a powdercoated sport wheel hiding under there...& once you see them w/o the covers, the covers themselves look kinda cheap.

5. Toyota Fan

Toyota Fan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I pulled the plastic covers, and purchased the center caps from Toyota. The caps run around $13.00 each, and they look great.
    Toyota Fan

6. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah right, your wives did it. Sounds like the ol' "dog ate my homework" excuse from childhood! C'mon, 'fess up!! :D

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree you should leave them on until the better half learns where the wheels are.

Removing the covers in almost encouraged here.

Get a set of 4 centre caps for the 15 inch wheels, they fit in the centre of the 16 inch wheels and make them look even better with the covers off.

Maybe you could leave the covers on the right (kerb) side and take off the other side.

8. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thx man, excellent idea...as I also noticed the bare center/hub area w/ the covers removed. Are the covers the same for the 15 & 16" wheels? Also, anybody have a pic of this look w/ the covers off and caps on? I'd love to see the final product as inspiration.

Oops, looks like the member above answered my question for me on the cap size/s.

9. AMG

AMG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    how do you guys remove the covers ? do I take the center cap off first ?

10. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No need to mess w/ the center cap. They (the covers) are all one piece and just pop right off...like a hubcap. May require a screwdriver (there's actually a lip/hole at end of one of the spokes to slide the screwdriver in).

11. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  12. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thx for sharing. I read that thread but it really pertains to the 'rings' & not the covers on the 16" touring 7 spoke wheels. Bottom line, from what I've seen, especially w/ the wheels I have (described above), the gunmetal alloys look great underneath, and I'm pulling all my covers and buying the center caps. ;)

13. AMG

AMG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This mabe a stupid question, why do you need additional center caps ? can you use the chrome center caps that comes with the touring ?

or does the centers cap comes off as part of the cover

14. JEFNLSA

JEFNLSA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good question, hope somebody chimes in. I also have the 16" touring wheels w/ the wheel covers. The covers have the chrome "hub" caps already there. Can these be removed and used on the hubs? I assumed not, as most members here say they had to purchase them...or is that just for the base wheels that do not have the caps? I much prefer to just pop the caps out of the covers and put them on the wheels...is this do-able?

15. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I suppose you could drive them without the center caps, but it looks really unfinished. The threaded axle and cotter pin show through. The other thing I noticed was ther was some rust developing on the exposed axle after a couple weeks. I cleaned that off and covered them with wheel bearing grease and installed the caps.

The OEM trim rings do not have a removable center cap, so you need the buy them. They are 'plastichrome' with the Toyota logo in the center and match the lugnuts. It looks great.

If it ever quits raining here, I'll post a picture...