1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renault Fluence EV Test Drive

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 18, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thought some of you might like to see what's happening regarding EV's this side of the pond. UK test drive of Renaults Fluence EV due for release 2012.

advice - Clean Green Cars

Renault are going down the battery leasing route which makes the car competitively priced, but then you've got to lease the battery. As Nissan and Renault are almost one of the same, perhaps they're testing which way is best - buying outright as in the Nissan Leaf or battery rental/lease as in the Renault Fluence.

My one question is, will it be eligible for the various governments incentives available around the world? These incentives reduce the cost of EVs to make them more affordable, but the Fluence will already be affordable as you will just lease the battery. hmmm

1 person likes this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm surprised by the lack of comments, but then I suppose you're not getting the Renault in the US so why be bothered by it?!?

I personally think this is quite an interesting car (despite being a Renault). It has a 100 mile range - more on a run, can be charged quickly, seat 5 with luggage and can have the battery swapped within minutes at certain places.

Now I've been thinking about this car from my own point of view. It might (emphasis on the word might) just be viable for me. At the moment my Prius costs about the same to buy as the Renault, but I spend about £220 - £240 a month on fuel for 35k miles per year. With the Renault the battery is leased at £70 per month so a saving of £170 per month or £2040 a year. Now the range is only 100 miles though on a normal day to day basis I only do about 120-140 mile a day, but I could charge the Renault during my break/lunchtime or after 70 miles, as it take 30 mins to charge.

It would severely limit my doing of long journeys, but I am not a rank or street taxi as I get my jobs despatched by my office, so I could ask them to restrict long jobs. This will reduce income from these but I will get more town work to balance.

Prius.........................Renault Fluence
    £20,000 ...................£19,000
    £2700 pa fuel............£840 battery lease
    ..............................£200 electricity or free if local council or work fit a charger
    £800 pa servicing...... £200 pa servicing/safety check?

With the Renault there will also be no battery worries as it is leased and can be swapped at one of the quick drop charging points at various times. Just hope there'd be one near me.

So, from a business point of view, do I take the chance and get regular town work from environmentally conscious customers at the loss of long distance work. The income usually balances out at around the same. Or do I wait for the Prius PHEV in 2 years time?

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, since you haven't been answered yet...

By seeing taxi business here in Portugal, I can confirm your point of view. The chance of getting a job outside urban limit, as a service is obviously dropped due to range, is only likely to happen once in a month time!

I would stick with the PHV Prius, because charging times are much shorter to fill up giving 14miles range (3hr from 110v), not requiring much power drawn from any charging pole when you are expecting customers.
    And you would not loose long services, because of the 600mile tank.
    But you said you normally travel 120mi daily, so you would use still much gas, though.

Battery exchange for Renault intentions is still a myth. These stations are to be avaliable, ok, but when? Only this manufacturer has expressed this way of quick fuel-up...

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I love seeing more EVs.
    I think part of the reason for lack of comments is that there are other EVs that are hitting the USA market in the next few months. An EV that is coming out in a couple of years, and then, not in the US gets less interest from the USA posters.