1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renault Fluence ZE Reviews

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Renault Fluence ZE (Zero Emission) will be released in the UK in RHD form on March 1st, 2012.

It's very competitively priced - as you lease the HV battery paying a monthly fee depending on your projected mileage.

It is also getting some reasonable reviews;

Renault Fluence Z.E. Dynamique: First drive review - Autoblog UK

New Renault Fluence Saloon (12 on) Car Review - Summary | Parkers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Fluence_Z.E.

Fluence Z.E. - Electric Vehicles - Renault Cars - Renault UK

2 people like this.
  2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One Prius-pt chatter that owns a 1G (very rare around here) has a Fluence ZE.
    He's delighted, but has made a comment over regeneration...it seems that when reaching depletion, regeneration (when no throttle) is more strong than when is full charge condition.
    I may understand that throttle sensivity may very (like in our 3G to driver's option), but regen?
    (He hasn't sold the 1G yet, LOL)

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well it would make sense and personally I'd rather have more aggressive regen than a dead HV battery. The 3008 hybrid I drove had quite agressive regen compared to the Prius.

Perhaps it's the way to go as it saves your brakes and charges the battery. If the boot/trunk wasn't so poor in the Fluence I'd be having one. Might still be tempted as it is very well priced. Also, the Renault Kangoo EV is almost too cheap over here - it's cheaper than a diesel version and as diesel has today hit another record high price, the EV Kangoo might be the way for smaller businesses to go.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, when the battery is at full charge, there isn't anywhere for the captured energy of regen to go. When SOC in the Prius reaches full while coasting downhill, the regen drag will lessen.

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But regen drag keeps fairly constant, given ICE kicks in to make "pump-brake"...

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since Renault has no plans to return to the US, I wonder if Nissan will ever sell a rebadged version of this car in the US.

For some, the Leaf is a non-starter as it's the opinion of some that it's a very ugly vehicle. (For me, I think it's a bit funny looking but otherwise ok.) Unfortunately, Ghosn has always wanted to try to keep Renaults and Nissans distinct, at least from what a customer can readily/easily see.

I sat in some Renaults when I was in Paris and their interiors are nothing like Nissans.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I can't see why it shouldn't be easier to import electric vehicles than petrol/diesel versions. Crash testing between Europe & America/Canada is pretty similar with the odd difference. There are no emission issues to worry about as the cars are electric. Different lights and mirrors and job done.

The Fluence ZE is a strange animal. I think it was mainly designed to assist the Better Place movement and is just a cheap sedan/saloon car modified to hold a large battery. It is surprising they're modified it to RHD for the UK/Irish markets but I guess that shows that either Renault are chasing every possible sale they can OR they feel they will sell plenty in RHD markets.

Personally I like the car. It's a big fugly but it's dead cheap and the lease battery is a great idea in these early days of EV motoring. It's slower than the Leaf but goes a little further on a charge - something I'd rather have. And for all the faults of French cars, ride comfort isn't one of them.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The cars hit the showrooms on Friday 9th, and I've just got home today after a 1 hour, 25 mile test drive in a Fluence.

Got to say I'm impressed. It's not as quick as the Prius or the Leaf - only 95 bhp and 0-60 mph in 13 seconds but it has a slightly better range than the Leaf. Interior wise its a wee bit smaller in the cabin compared to the Prius but the seats are comfortable enough.

I am very very tempted to replace the Prius with the Fluence. The car is cheaper by about £4,000/$6,200 than the Prius after the £5,000 UK Government grant, the battery rental is £130 a month for 18,000 miles a year and there are no servicing costs either for 4 years as part of the deal.

The range gauge was quite accurate and kept in pace with the miles covered. The regen braking system was harsh though - as soon as you release the accelerator the car slowed fairly quick. It was a little harsher than driving the Prius in B mode on the flat, but I guess it means you don't wear your brakes much.

There is a large, steep hill near me and when I decend in the Prius it totally fills the HV battery by halfway down and then I'm wasting energy. In the Fluence I went down the entire hill which is about a hile and a half long and gained about 4 miles additional range. On the way back up the hill the car consumed about 6 miles of range, but I was accelerating hard and had 2 passengers.

All in all I was very impressed. The range held up well as at the end of the hard trip I drove 25 miles and the range went down a quarter of a 'tank'. If I'd taken it easy on a faster flat road I recon it would easily reach the 110 mile range.

Shame you guys aren't getting the Fluence. It's a winner I think.