1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renault Twizy EV sells 1.6k in June, 6k LTD

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spwolf, Aug 21, 2012.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Good news for EV owners in Europe...

Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog » Europe: Has Renault nailed the electric car with the Twizy?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it, what's it like?

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

sorry... here you go:

[​IMG]

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol that is a BAD photo of a Twizy.

They're actually turning into a surprise hit even here in the UK where the weather isn't conducive to owning a windowless 'car' (the term car used lightly).

They're cheap(ish), fun to drive, easy to park and an ideal 3rd household vehicle for those quick shopping trips. I have a friend who has one on order - why? because he thinks it would be a bit of fun. He has a sports coupe, his girlfriend a BMW and the Twizy is for fun.

Oh and this'll shock you = the Twizy is a 2 seater! You read that right. There's a seat behind the driver. Thankfully I'd never fit in it.

Enjoy the roadtest report;

Twizy tours and Twizy Road Trips in the Brecon Beacons, mid Wales

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And motor is made in Slovenia, my home country :)

It's selling together with Espace:
    [​IMG]

Renault took a different route with their EVs, they are selling them at good starting price (comparable to normal car), but they are charging you extra for battery usage per month, price depends on how many years you are willing to sign and how many miles you do yearly.

Renault Z.E. | Electric Vehicles | Reserve | Latest News

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this smaller than a smart?

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably. It's more a four wheeled scooter. It doesn't pretend to be a car - thankfully. The following review gives full details. In some markets in Europe such a vehicle doesn't need a licence to be driven. I believe there is a version limited to 30 mph which can be used by 16 year olds here without a full car licence.

I do think you have to be a certain sort to drive one, but they do look fun.

New Renault Twizy (12 on) Car Review - Summary | Parkers

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure a 60 mile range even matters in a vehicle like this. 6,000 seems like a lot, i'd like to know what people are using them for. i don't think they would be realistic here, but who knows?

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think its 6990 euros for the full speed one, that is around $8,500. Think of how many people ride motorcycles. There's a market, but the price seems high for a scooter that can't close it's windows and can't go all that fast. It looks like it would be fun to drive, easy to park, etc. I think they would have to cut it to a 3 wheeler to qualify as a motorcyle and sell in the US.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember the price includes 20% sales tax (or higher) in most European countries. The batteries are on top too but as a monthly rental which covers replacement once they reach 70%. Also includes recovery if you run out of charge.

People pay big money for motorbikes too. The Twizy does come with a restricted speed option for some markets where that is required. I don't think Renault would ever release one officially in the US though - not considering French/US political relations this century.

Is it possible to import one over individually though? It's really just a high speed golf cart. Completely unpractical but loads of fun. Wait until they start getting modded.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't we already have similar here? zap zebra, etc.?

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    zebra is 3 wheeler so that it can be classified as a motorcycle and be sold here. The 3 wheel design is also lighter for the same size, but ... iirc zebra is much larger and heavier than the twizy, with lower top speed.

I think there would be a market here if they were legal and faster. To get legal it would need to get modified to one wheel in back - think aptera but seats one behind the other. Make it have a top speed of 70 mph with a slightly bigger battery, and it would be a fun to drive ultra efficient vehicle. It would also be cheap enough that lots of college kids would want one. I like the idea of the under powered version that is legal for kids without licenses. Its got to be safer than a motorbike.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's been like that in France and Spain for a while I think and they're looking at introducing it here next year as younger kids are finding it literally impossible to get insurance for cars now. This way they can at least get around without the dangers of a scooter and because of the restricted speed insurance should be more reasonable or affordable.

Driving licence-free Twizy for 2013 | Autocar

Breakdown Cover, Car Insurance and route planner available from RAC. | RAC

austingreen likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those are NEVs, neighborhood electric vehicles. The fastest might reach 40mph. Most are limited to 25 to 35mph. Most NEVs on the road in the US are probably just 'high speed' golf carts seen in resort ares. Low max speed means they have lower safety requires that keep costs down, but they can't go everywhere. My wife's last job was only 4 miles round trip. A NEV would have been perfect, but the last 500ft of the drive was on a 50mph highway, where most go faster.

While offered with a low speed limit, the Twizy is a full, highway capable, BEV.

austingreen likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    safer than a bike maybe, but it doesn't look safe to me. but i wouldn't drive a smart at highway speeds either.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ridden a human powered bike down hill at 50 mph, no protection but a helmet and much skinier tires. A safety cage and 3 wheels are much safer. These things are low to the ground and should be safe as long as the SUV behind you doesn't hit you:) For US safety standards it needs to get classified as a motorcycle, but I don't think that is too bad for the target market. Fun and danger and cool might be good for the 16-30 market, as well as inexpensive. I've had 3 people on a motor cycle - I think the small back seat will work for the motorcycle crowd too. It might be better if there were windows that open and close, but I think that might be hard in those doors. Getting the windows to open in the aptera was one of those technical problems that delayed introduction.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We already have those in the US, they're called golf carts.

Of course it isn't safe, probably a bit safer than a motorcycle, but that doesn't say much.
    That is awesome. Teenagers really ought not to be driving except with extremely strict supervision of their idiotic tendencies. I used to be one ;0

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks fun. Safe as they say they are, if you were ever hit hard by a real car or truck, the driver and the Twizy would become no more than a soccer ball being kicked downfield.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is that the same model they're firing up on mars?
    :)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.