1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renault Twizy EV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Apr 2, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah but one costs £7,000/$11,200 and the other costs $108,000!?!!?!?!

I thought I was seeing things when I saw the cost of the Tango. Maybe it was priced in Yen or maybe someone had slipped with the 000's, but no it's massively expensive.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuter_Cars_Tango]Commuter Cars Tango - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Twizy]Renault Twizy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Twizy top speed is 50 MPH.

Tango is way cool. If I had the $$ I'd take it over the Tesla any day. :rockon:

Lots of cool Tango shenanigans on YouTube. One of my favorites:

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to the link for the Twizy:

That would be 113 wH per mile, or almost 9 miles per kWh. Granted, it's small and light, but I don't believe those numbers.

Last time I spoke to Rick over at Commuter Cars (just down the road from me) a couple of years ago, he was struggling to come up with capital just to stay afloat. The first time I spoke with him I was considering the Tango. (I was also considering the Tesla, not yet in production, and ended up with the Xebra, the only one of the three actually available.) At that time, Rick was estimating a six-month wait for a Tango, but there were delays and problems, and a couple of years after that he was still struggling to get the car out. There may be a few on the road, but it's not something you can just go out and buy. It's sold as a "kit" because it has not undergone any safety testing. Rick believes it is very safe. I'm not so sure. It has racing-style crossed shoulder belts, an extremely solid frame and roll bar, but no crumple zone. I asked him about that. He insisted that the very sturdy cage and racing belts made a crumple zone unnecessary. The "kit car" designation allows it to be sold without safety testing, but the assembly required is very minimal. I was told I'd have no trouble with the assembly, should I buy one. I don't like the looks, the tandem seating, or the absence of any storage space. No trunk at all. Not even any rear passenger leg area: the rear passenger's legs go next to the driver's seat, like on a motorcycle. However, you can remove the rear seat and put a storage box in its place, making it a one-seat car. For a passenger to get in and out, the driver must get out and slide the driver's seat all the way forward. A passenger cannot get in or out if anyone is in the driver's seat.

It's big selling point is that, like a motorcycle, parking is easy and you can split lanes.

I wish him all the best, and I hope he succeeds, but my Tesla has several times the range and similar acceleration for the same price tag. To get Tesla range in a Tango, brings the Tango price to 50% more than the Tesla. Unless he's changed that since I discussed prices with him 4 years ago. Maybe it was 4 1/2 years. Rick definitely knows electronics and I'd bet on the Tango to be solidly built, well designed, and reliable.

The Tesla has gone through all the safety testing.

For full disclosure, the Xebra I drove for 4 years also had never been safety tested, and in an accident would probably be toast, along with the driver.

1 person likes this.
  6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is very small and light. Also, the range is quoted as upto 70 miles in town using the regen. Perhaps it's really hammering the HV battery but that doesn't matter as it is leased from Renault for £45 a month - no risk to the customer.

So it's like a scooter that goes 50 mph and keeps you fairly dry. I actually have a petrolhead friend who is seriously considering one just to head to town in - parking is a nightmare here.