1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rennstands no longer sold by Safejacks...Now the price increase...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At least they didn't get the Chinesium disease. They are still Made in USA.

https://safejacks.com/products/the-rennstand-by-safe-jack-single-unitvariant=12420598104160?variant=12420598104160

RennStand - RennStand

Bogert Manufacturing, the original inventor and maker is FAA certified and made them in their high quality production facility. Just hope the new manufacturer maintains the same high standard.

Glad I got mine for $100 each plus shipping in the 2017 Black Friday sale. They have been just wonderful and a real pleasure to use. best jackstands.jpg

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those feet don't even appear to be level

3. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No need, It's designed that way to mechanically spread when loaded. Works great.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you want to jack up the car at the pinch weld and subsequently support with a safety stand.

Myself I'm always raising either the front or back (at the proscribed front/rear jacking points, then placing a pair of safety stands, and never on the pinch welds.

Attached Files:

5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The placement position of your stands are not authorized by Toyota. The pinch weld points are. I follow the manufacturer's instructions.

My husband's friend made special pinch weld adapters for me that fits them perfectly. aluminum adapter close up.JPG custom prius rennstand adapter front.JPG custom prius rennstand adapter.JPG

Mendel Leisk and JahT like this.
  6. JahT

JahT Member

I like the concept of that jack stand, I will have to watch for a sale. I cut a 2x4 end as wood block that goes in the "dish" of my floor jack, I cut a groove in it that just fits the pinch weld ridge/seam which works well for jacking, but it can be hard putting it on jack stands and still having room to work.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The adapter bears on the pinch weld, the sheet metal behind, or both?

I've used the scissor jack once, on the lighter weight rear, at the location shown in Owner's Manual, and found even there the sheet metal behind the pinch weld is where it bears, and was slightly dimpled in afterwards.

The front safety stand locations I use where recommended (I think) here:

Prius links

Unfortunately way too many rabbit holes to search right now. But yeah, I've used those points at least 30 times now; they are heavy gauge.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone have an adapter they put on their floor jack and jack stands so you can quickly jack up the car at the pinch welds without bending them? That'd make my car jacking moments way better!

9. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, both Gen 2 and 3 have the traditional "knife edge" standing seam pinch weld that is approximately 5/8 to 3/4 inch tall. Most of the commercial pinch weld adapters sold, unfortunately, are only a half inch deep and too shallow.

My husband's friend mills the slots deeper so the top of the pinch weld adapter rest on the strong wide inside edge and the plastic rocker cover. The soft polyurethane contacts at least 8 square inches and evenly distributes the load over that wide area. TMB pinch weld adapter.JPG

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly what I need... But sounds like I'm gonna have to make them myself? Yet another thing to add to my mile long to-do list! Great!

11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two