1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reno to Sacramento

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by andyprius, Jun 19, 2008.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Coming down the Sierra this morning I managed 73 MPG as I pulled into my garage.

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds very impressive, but more impressive if you can do the same on the return trip or have a high average for the two. Let us know how that goes :)
    Good luck,

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that is not likely to happen. The Sierra has a long gradual slope on its western side. IE. you are not going to get awesome milage from Sac to Reno but you could get great milage on the way down. I do a small version of it on my commute from Lincoln to Auburn every day. I get about 50mpg going up but I get about 80+going down. Somehow I can still average 55-57mpg on that commute if I am careful. :)

4. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    sounds great still.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mileage to Reno was 47mpg, tanked up for trip back, ARCO at $4.09. That gave me an average of 60mpg. My gas tank is still basically full, never the less, my consumption screen is steadily going down, which is normal on local driving. It's too bad that "Stealth" cannot be bought up at will, at any speed or SOC condition. Interestingly Stealth is more likely to work when semi-warmed up (10 min) than when fully warmed up, around 30-40mph. Coming down the Sierra there is no other option but to coast in D and allow SOC to go solid green, did this about four times. Stealth is not possible. Another peculiarity of Prius is throwing the car in neutral on a coast or hill is uneconomical. The screen shows engine NOT running, good, right? however I think the info is fictitious and the engine continues to run BUT, not show it. That is probably where a Scan guage would come in handy. Car now has 60K miles on it and I can see no difference in operation. Immediately after buying it new I went to FL with it and averaged 54mpg for the whole trip.