1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rental Car question

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mojo, Jul 20, 2007.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I rented a car last week from Alamo,(btw Priceline is pretty cheap, $20 day for midsize in HNL)
    When I declined the insurance, the counterperson stated that if the vehicle is damaged Alamo would continue to charge me at the regular inflated daily rate ,until the vehicle is repaired.
    Bodywork could take forever for parts to arrive in Hawaii.
    Anyone believe this ?Would my credit card insurance cover this additional charge?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Jul 20 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]482559[/snapback]</div>
    That is but one of the reasons that I will not rent from Alamo, even though my own insurance carrier will compensate them for loss of use of the car while it is being repaired. I am not sure about the credit card companies. You need to read the fine print. There are probably as many variations as there are credit card issuers.

Hertz and Avis limit your out of pocket liability even when you decline the Collision Damage Waiver offered by them. With a AAA discount at Hertz and California State Bar discount at Avis, I am always able to find competitive rates.

3. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Enterprise does the same thing - I talked to my insurance company about it and they have an option that addresses this type of issue that you can add to your policy. I don't recall the name, but it was cheap. We rent cars often enough that I went ahead and added it.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...001&sc=1000

I found this article addressing the problem.
    He suggests ..."you can apparently lower your risk (1) by renting only from Alamo, Enterprise, National or some other company you know supplies credit card issuers with the required information and and (2) by using a Visa card.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you rent from Avis, Budget or Hertz with an American Express or MasterCard and the car is damaged during your rental, you'll almost certainly be hit with a loss-of-use charge your card won't cover."