1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rental Car

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Oct 21, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today I drove a Chevy Cobalt LS to Coeur d'Alene and back, a 50-mile round-trip, mostly freeway. The other day I apparently drove the Prius over too big a bump in the road (I think it was a last-straw bump, not a first time bump) and tore a chunk of the underside of the front bumper loose, so that it bent back and under and was scraping the ground. The upshot was that since the body shop was closed on Saturday I had to rent a car for today. Tomorrow I'll take the Prius to the body shop, and hope they can make it safely drivable until they can get the part and fix it. It will be two weeks before I need it again, as the Xebra will serve me just fine until I have to go to Coeur d'Alene again.

So today I was rather surprised at the difference in comfort. The seats in the Chevy are a thousand percent more comfortable than the seats in the Prius, and the ride is smoother, and the Chevy tracks better. Not just better. It tracks straight and smooth, whereas the Prius requires a constant two hands on the wheel.

The smoothness of the ride might have been partly due to the Chevy being heavier, but it's really too bad that Toyota didn't decide to put decent seats in the Prius.

On the other hand, an engine that runs all the time is stupid, and burning twice (???) as much gas is barbaric.

The lady at the car rental place turned the key half-way on to read the mileage, and I actually tried to drive it away without starting the engine. I could not figure out why it would not go, and I had to ask her. "Did you start the engine?" she asked. Start the engine??? The car is supposed to start the engine after I get going fast enough that it needs the engine! Eeerrrmmm...???

(All right, wise guy, you know you've bumped your nose on the front door of your house a few times 'because you expected it to open when you touched the doorknob!)

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The primary thing that I don't like about the cars that the Detroit 3 produce is that they get lousy mileage. Toyota is always getting criticized for producing the Tundra and the FJ but they have cars in every segment. The Detroit 3, on the other hand, don't have anything that competes directly with the Prius (50 mpg, hybrid). The Cobalt is a cute little car but can only get 24 city, 32 highway (EPA estimates).

According to CR "The Chevrolet Cobalt is an improvement over the dated, outgoing Cavalier, but it's still just an average small sedan. It isn't very agile, and steering is too light at low speeds. The seats lack support, and the cabin feels cramped. Although quick, its engine was noisy and it had paltry fuel economy. The Cobalt's ride is relatively comfortable. Head-protecting side-curtain air bags is standard on 2008 models." If I needed a car in the Cobalt's class, I'd get a Civic or a Corolla. The Prius is at least a grade above the Cobalt anyway considering it's a mid-sized sedan, not a compact. CR's overall score of the Cobalt is a meager 49, and considering how GM cars on the low end of the price spectrum generally are like Dixie Cups, it'll probably turn in to a total rattle-trap POS by the time even a three-year car loan was paid off. Nice car to drive but I wouldn't want to own one.

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Aww man your messing up your Pruis :eek:

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jack: The seats in the Cobalt are quite comfy. Much better than the Prius. Overall, it's an acceptable rental car, especially since I only needed it for a day and will take it back tomorrow. I would never buy one.

Tracy: My Prius has already been in a fender-bender and been repaired, and is over 3 years old, so this is a nuisance, but nothing more. Not like when you damage a brand-new car.

I'm already researching conversion EVs. It looks like it might be possible to get that 65 mph 75-mile-range conversion car using the (expensive) Altairnano safe lithium batteries.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. My rental car in CA could possibly be a Cobalt.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 21 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]528642[/snapback]</div>
    Those were CR's words, daniel. I have no interest whatsoever in anything that GM builds at the moment and have not been in a Cobalt.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess you didn't try sitting in the back seats of the Cobalt, they're terrible. Comfort is one of the reasons my son bought an Aveo instead of a Cobalt. My son was looking for a cheap car and was comparing an Aveo and a Cobalt and surprisingly the Aveo is MUCH roomier in the back and the seats in the back are way more comfortable in the Aveo.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 21 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]528645[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Oct 22 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]528734[/snapback]</div>
    I rented it because it was the smallest car the rental place had available on the day I needed it. And, no, I had no need of the back seats. I was just very unimpressed with the seats in my Prius after driving this. I remember now that I had the same feeling after my first road trip in the Prius. My old Civic was much more comfortable. I think the Prius is the best gas-burner on the road because of its environmental footprint and its cool technology. But driver comfort leaves much to be desired.

Maybe when I have a 200-mile EV I could sell the Prius and just rent a car for those very rare road trips.

By the way, Tideland, the one I rented has no cruise control. I only needed to drive it 25 miles to Coeur d'Alene and 25 miles back, and the lack of c/c was annoying, but no big deal for such a short distance. If you want c/c be aware of this.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 22 2007, 05:39 AM) [snapback]528756[/snapback]</div>
    ohh you're kidding me. No A/C and CC? Well no A/C is ok I guess since it's still warm in Cali no? It's not summer-time hot. But.. CC? god damn it, we'll be doing a LOT of highway miles.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think I said there was no A/C. I think there was, though I never pressed the button that looked like it might have been, since I was running the heater instead. But there was no c/c. Maybe that is an option that this particular unit didn't have. It did seem to have more acceleration than the Prius, though.

And a follow-up on the Prius: The body shop fastened the piece in place temporarily, and it's only going to cost me $140 to have it replaced, once the part comes in, which he thinks should be in a couple of days.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 22 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]529048[/snapback]</div>
    oops.. sorry about the A/C bit.

Hmm.. well at SF airport, a Cobalt is HALF the price of the Prius (they're charging $400 for 8 days). I calculated the fuel usage and I'll save $70 in fuel over the Cobalt (using 30mpg for Cobalt and 46mpg for Prius.. it'll be 99% highway miles). That means it's $130 extra ($200-$70) for the Prius.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]529112[/snapback]</div>
    Have you shopped around? That is a rather steep rate. I suggest you give a try to www.sidestep.com .

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we rented a cavalier from the last year production run... talk about awful. my friend has a cobalt and enjoys it, but even she admits there's a reason she leases. i went for a ride with her once and it was better than the cavalier.

hope the repair goes well.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 22 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]529132[/snapback]</div>
    I apologise to daniel for hijacking this thread. If you want us to move it to another thread, don't be afraid to say so!!

Well, the one at Palo Alto is $271.

I have to get it at Avis b/c my friend's able to get a discount. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind any rental company to be honest.

Although, by the looks of things, it doesn't seem much of a discount to you.

It's for 8 days.. for about $25/day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]529137[/snapback]</div>
    I can second that. We had a 2002? 2003? Cavalier as a courtesy car. I hated every minute of it. Esp. the rear windows that only open 50%.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]529161[/snapback]</div>
    The nice thing about the Sidestep site is that it shops the other sites for you.

$25 a day is reasonable, but even with all the taxes and the other junk fees your car rental should not total anywhere near $400 for eight days, as you wrote above.

For future reference, AAA members get excellent rates and substantial discounts at Hertz. According to its website, the British Columbia Automobile Association is an affiliate of the American Automobile Association (and the Canadian Automobile Association).

Go to www.aaa.com/hertz and click on Hertz exclusive member savings.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]529161[/snapback]</div>
    Not a problem at all.

BTW, the Cobalt I rented had hand-crank windows. But the nice thing was the old-fashioned climate controls, where knobs select the vents and the temperature. One of my peeves about the Prius is those annoying climate controls.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]529137[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Galaxee. It's a first-rate body shop and a very simple replacement, so there'll be no problems. $140 parts and labor.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 23 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]529288[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm.. ok my friend went ahead and booked from Avis and now he tells me it's $247 total for 7 days. Seems reasonable... but how does Enterprise do it for $121++? (using sidestep)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 23 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]529494[/snapback]</div>
    $140 isn't too bad I think!

I don't think I'll be rolling down the windows except maybe at the drive-thru. You gotta wonder how rental companies come up with their categories...

apparently economy and compact are two different classes. The Aveo is in economy and the Rio and Versa are in compact.

Same for standard and full-size. Standard includes the G6 and Fusion. Full-size includes the Taurus and Altima.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 21 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]528642[/snapback]</div>

COOL! Kepp us posted on that!! :)

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, we ended up with a Cobalt LT coupe.

Surprisingly, it was pretty good. Of course the interior plastics were cheap and nasty but the fit and finish was top notch. Nothing rattled although the driver's side armrest was broken (the plastic underneath the fabric was split but you couldn't tell it was broken unless you actually press down on the armrest which I did lol).

The suspension was compliant and wasn't overly firm nor floaty. The seat fabric was ok, akin to a base model Corolla type fabric. The washers are a bit weak.

The engine was peppy and it got decent MPG. I resetted the average fuel economy meter when we got the car and after ~2,600 miles, the average read 31.9 mpg with the highest reading at 33.0mpg. The trip consisted of ~80% highway (the city bit is mostly LA and LV's The Strip driving plus one day of SF driving). It included hills just as SF and Old Priest Grade Road (near Yosemite) which saw the mileage plummet from 29.9mpg to 29.2mpg as well as umm.. certain unmentioned sustained speeds.