1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

renting a Toyota Prius (on vacation or business)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rentaldriver, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rentaldriver

rentaldriver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

it would be wonderful to be able to rent a hybrid car as a rental car.

Unfortunately, hybrid cars are disappearing more and more from US rental fleets.

The rental company renting out most hybrids was Hertz. Two years ago, it was no problem to get a Toyota Prius in Chicago, Orlando, Miami, Seattle or Portland.

Today, for Hertz Orlando and Miami the website states "car group is not available" anymore. Toyota Prius in Seattle and Chicago is "sold out for these dates". That seems to apply to every single day of the year though. For Portland, it says one should call the Portland Hertz station directly.

With most of the other car rental companies (Avis, Budget, Enterprise), already in the past it was really difficult to book a hybrid.

The only happy news is that Sixt in Miami added the Prius to their fleet in late 2011, but I wonder if they only added one single vehicle. For most of the time I tried to book it, it wasn't available.

It would be great, if there was a website that helped booking hybrids.

For example in San Francisco, Toyota Priuses are still available on Hertz.
    But one finds that out, only by looking at Hertz.com.

There was a link in an old thread here on the forum, about renting a Prius from a dealership instead of a rental car company. I can't post any links as I'm a new member, the thread was called "Where to Rent a Prius" and was started 16th of June, 2006.

Does this still work?
    The link provided in that thread just leads to an error message now.
    Are there any Toyota dealerships renting Prius cars close to the Chicago or Seattle airport?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Hopefully some day, more hybrids or electric cars will get into US rental fleets, so that rental car travellers can also try to keep their impact on nature as little as possible.

Best regards,
    rentalcardriver

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I rented all my Prius through Toyota dealers ...

Toyota Rent a Car

at least 12 times. Fremont Toyota tells me they have both the liftback and Prius v available for rent. They had a liftback available this morning. I used to rent them for $43/day last year, 200 miles limit.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are flying into SeaTac

Burien Toyota 15025 First Avenue South
    Burien, WA 98148
    (877) 360-1130

is 4 miles from the terminal, on the backside of the airport

Near Chicago's Midway

Continental Toyota 6701 S. La Grange Road
    Hodgkins, IL 60525
    (888) 409-4784

is 9 miles away

close to Ohare

Elmhurst Toyota 440 West Lake Street
    Elmhurst, IL 60126
    (866) 727-2120

is 10 miles

All claim to have rental vehicles

4. rentaldriver

rentaldriver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you CycleDrum.
    Thank you JimboPalmer.

That's very informative as a reply.

I still have to get used to this renting from a dealership idea.

I realize that it actually is a little bit more complicated. :)
    Because one has to:
    - first get to the dealership, which is more complicated as they are not located inside of or close to major transit hubs
    - deal with the dealership opening times, so limited in early morning or late evening on weekdays
    - deal with dealership being closed on Sundays
    - look at the individual dealership website, to find out if they rent cars, and if they do, which ones.
    Finally, if I get it right, one has to make the reservation by phone?
    No internet booking possible, as far as I saw, which also seems more complicated.

Continental Toyota in Chicago has the Prius listed as rental, for 42.99$ a day.
    But the Elmhurst Toyota f.e., only lists Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Sienna. So it seems like there's no Prius at that location!

Plus, I wonder how the rental procedure is. Do the dealerships have a dedicated rental counter? :) Or does one have to wait between crowds of other people having their cars serviced?

How strict are the dealerships, when it comes to returning the car (inside of car might be not so clean anymore, or there might be a scratch on the outside of the car)? Traditional car rental companies don't care if the inside got dirty after renting the car for 2 weeks, or if it's only a small scratch on the outside it's no problem either.

I guess, in the end, one probably has to try that "rent a car from the dealership" out oneself, to get an impression.

Thank you again for your responses.
    Have a good Sunday!
    rentaldriver

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota dealer rented me a Camry while my Prius was being repaired at a 'sister' Ford dealer body shop. (The insurance was paying)

They picked me up at the body shop in the Camry to go to the Toyota dealer and I left it at the body shop when done, all very painless. The Camry got about 2/3 the mileage and seemed very barren inside, but I was able to get to my work.

6. bigdoglover

bigdoglover New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

toyota dealer in naperville, il. has a special on renting a prius of $20 a day. it is not close to the airport though.

7. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    John Elway's
    Manhattan BeachToyota,
    Manhattan Beach, California

Valerie runs the rental office at the dealership located back by the service entrance. She rents several Toyota models, depending on what she has in at the time. I have rented Prius from her several times, as well as other models (of cars!).

They are located less than 2 miles south of LAX on Sepulveda (PCH), and they always pick me up and drop me off at the terminal of my flight - gratis. My own private ride to & from the airport in a tinted Toyota? Life is good.

:eek:

BTW, that is a great way to see Yosemite & Sequoya National Parks, or Highway 1 along the coast. Take I-5 (and/or 99) north for either of these. When doing the coast, go to Monterey and do Hwy 1 from north to south. That direction puts the afternoon sun behind you, and your car on the west side of the road. Enjoy!

8. Pdx Prius Lady

Pdx Prius Lady New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Beaverton Toyota Rent a Car in Oregon has the Prius liftback models, Prius V, Prius C and Prius EV available to rent to the public. The cars are always clean and new. Although they are a ways from the Portland Airport, the MAX train has a stop (Millikan Way) just a few blocks from their office, They are separate from the dealership (no dealership hassles) and have other Toyota cars, trucks and even vans for rental just like the other rental places. They'll even pick you up from the MAX stop and other local area locations. Prices are comparable and they have discounts listed on their website - www.beavertontoyota.com/rental. They are my favorite rental company now. :)