1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

repair advice needed for Prius caught in a flash flood

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mentavlos, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everybody - I have a 2010 Prius IV that was in a parking lot that was flooded during a heavy rainstorm. The water rose up about an inch higher than you see in this photo. Everyone else was able to throw their cars in neutral and push them to higher ground, but mine sat in this water for a little more than an hour.

The dealership hasn't completed its analysis, but they were able to jump-start it and there wasn't a flood (get it?) of error lights, so their list of things is shorter than you'd think. Mostly interior revamp, since the water did rise up about 2 inches into the seats. The service guy had initially told me that when he saw water at this level, the adjustor would typically total it out due to all the unknowns, but my adjustor asked for the teardown and analysis, so here I am.

I'd like to consider myself lucky, but my fear about going the repair route is that there must be a lot of electronics that was underwater that won't start corroding until after insurance has wiped their hands of it. Do any of you have any recommendations for systems that you just know must have been underwater, for which I should push for replacement now?

[​IMG]

2. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd think any computers or black boxes that were submerged as a start

1 person likes this.
  3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Modern Electronics can be relatively tolerant to moisture or even flooding, you haven't really said anything about codes, start-up problems. Are you a DIY? :confused:

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have the transaxle fluid drained and checked for moisture, maybe send out a sample for analysis.

1 person likes this.
  5. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed. Be sure to have your service change the transaxle fluid AND the 1.8L engine oil (0W20).

1 person likes this.
  6. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's good to hear about the electronics. I'm not a DIY. The car is at a dealership but I haven't heard their final report. It wouldn't start, but it would once they jumped it. Apparently it wouldn't turn off naturally, so they're still looking into that. They didn't get any codes, so that's bodes well in a way, but my fear is that there are some enclosed pieces that aren't going to get insepected unless they throw a code, and that if they got wet that there will eventually be corrosion-related issues that won't turn up for a while.

So I guess what I was wondering is whether there is some consensus about which computers/electronics are below that water line that would ideally be replaced in a more proactive way, if you know what I mean.

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not turning off on a Prius that has to be jump started is a symptom of a dead cell(s) in the 12V battery.

Most of the computers are at the level of the bottom of the glovebox or higher. There may be sensors that were compromised, though, like yaw rate, which, if memory serves, is mounted to the floor pan.

8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My thoughts are that you may want to look into a new insurance company.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Should you decide to DIY, you should access every connector at or below the waterline, spray with electronic cleaner spray, shake off excess ( if possible ) touch up with a hair dryer, moderate heat. There also may be something on the market that prevents future corrosion on connectors. Then, reseat the connectors 1 or 2 times. All this being to (help) insure future good conductivity. The best arrangement being an equitable settlement from the Insurance company AND keeping the old car. Your Prius sounds pretty good tho! Again in regards to your Prius, if offered a good settlement, take it and buy a new one. Contrary advice, but one never knows when water damage might show up. In regard to the above maintenance, this is something that the dealer should do but probably will not.

1 person likes this.
  10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "My fear is" You are absolutely correct!

11. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought that myself when the adjustor asked me, "Now, is that a hybrid?"

12. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How about the traction battery? Was any part splashed or submerged?

13. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told there was no evidence of water there. But because insurance wanted to take photos before anything was ripped apart, there was a good 40 hour delay before anything was looked at. What's that compartment like? Could it have drained away and dried up in that amount of time?

14. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it wouldn't start, obviously something got wet. I'd demand they total and get you a new Prius. Maybe you should start looking for a good lawyer.

15. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I personally wouldn't accept that car back. Get the insurance to "total" it. Or else, you have the potential to run into issues down the road. Big time.

16. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1

And, if you ever plan to sell or trade the car, the water level will be pretty obvious later on when rust is prevalent on the seat rails, sills---anywhere that the water lingered.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are cables and wires under the car and, as previously mentioned, some of them have connectors that got wet. Each wheel has a speed sensor for the ABS/VHS systems they certainly got soaked. Brakes will be rusty and should be looked at. I also recommend changing brake fluid.

One big problem is they will overlook things, and there will be other things that will not be done thoroughly enough. Some of these things will probably fail down the road and the insurance company will not cover them at a later date.

If it were mine I would try to get them to total it. If you can't do that sell it to someone you don't like. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So the dealership estimate ended up at $14k, which is not enough for insurance to easily make the decision to total it (apparently that threshold is 70%), but I think I'm now in the territory where I can press my case for that outcome. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips on what to look for.

19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any chance you could post the details? Inquiring minds are curious.

Push hard on your insurance co. They might actually come out ahead if they total the car, since 2010s with straight body and intact air bags fetch very high prices at insurance auto auctions.

20. mentavlos

mentavlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a new adjustor assigned to the case and his inclination was to total it and I heartily agreed. I think you're right about what they'll get for it at auction. The settlement offer was very fair, thanks to the amazing resale value of the 2010 IV w/solar package. It was actually worth more today than what I paid for it last September.

The biggest ticket item on the repair list was, of course, labor. After that came the stereo and the wiring for the instrument panel. There was some other wiring in the floor that they were going to replace, too, and those harness assemblies were $500+ and $700+.

Of course, getting more than what I paid for it last September doesn't exactly help me land a new IV w/ solar package without paying quite a bit more and waiting longer than I am able to wait. Sad, because I really loved the Prius, but I think I'll now have to wait to rejoin the fold until our 97 Subaru bites the dust (why of why, couldn't I have driven it on Monday?!?) and hopefully then supply will be back and I'll get the smoking new plug-in version.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the support and advice.