1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair Costs may vary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusjunky, Jan 3, 2009.

1. priusjunky

priusjunky Junior Member

Hello,

I have an '04 Prius. The Coolant Recirc Pump was very noisy and had been for a while, but was not leaking. Unfortunately I was just out of the warranty when I found out about the TSB on this board. I called around to get prices in the Baltimore area (6 dealers). They ranged from $340 to $923. The dealer that I bought from quoted the highest price, saying $500 for the pump and the rest was labor.

I had the work done yesterday for the agreed price at another dealer. $175 for the pump, $21 for the coolant and $145 for the labor. Around noon I get the up-sell call. Wipers are bad, both air filters are dirty, leaking at engine water pump and possible alignment needed. I did not have that work performed.

After I picked up the car, I checked the items they said needed attention. I knew the filters were clean because I had changed them a month ago, they were. The wiper inserts are fine. Just had new tires put on, with an alignment. I just came inside after checking the water pump and found no sign of seepage or a leak.

Just goes to show that it pays to shop around and beware of the up-sell...
    The good news is that Toyota Customer assistance has agreed to pay for the pump, because I was so close to the warranty.

Lou