1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair Costs to Fix Front Bumper and Hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jackson Lott, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jackson Lott

Jackson Lott New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Earlier on today I rear ended someone and my car's hood and bumper got pretty beat up. The Hood Latch won't open up any more and that's the worst of the damage beyond ascetics. The car still runs fine and wasn't leaking fluids, but I don't want to drive it very far beyond a repair shop. I only took a quick picture of my damage, but I will post more later on tomorrow when it gets brighter out. But I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and how much it cost them.
    I found a link that looks promising:
    What would you all recommend me doing to replace these parts?

Attached Files:

2. Jackson Lott

Jackson Lott New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an '09 that was bought used as well...
    If there's any other questions let me know

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a free estimate at repair shops. They will give you a detailed damage/replacement estimate. You'll know upfront on what you need to get (parts) to get the car fixed. This is all free of charge!!

You can use the estimate to look at what's damaged and source the parts yourself. Looks like there may be some damage under the hood. The estimate will include those damages.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bumper cover is the least of your problems from your picture.....and I can't tell if it would "buff" out or not, but it might and the "dent" would probably pop out.

But, as JC said, estimates are free. Ask around about who the most economical places are. If you have a mechanic, ask them. And then go and get three estimates.

I just think that grill work will be the killer. The hood is not a big deal. Prices can vary bigtime and to try to guess from a photo is absolutely useless to you.

There could be hidden problems under the hood. Take JC's good advice and get the estimates. Hey it happens to all of us....just more often to some of us...:rolleyes:

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the only damage is to sheet metal, my guess is that your repair costs will be around $2K using used parts. If you have to purchase new parts or have damage to the powertrain which is not visible in the photo, the costs will rise.

The hood is made of aluminum. Although it is possible to obtain a less expensive steel replacement on the aftermarket, I strongly suggest you stay with the correct Toyota part because the fit of the aftermarket part may not be very good.

6. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The hood & bumper cover should be easy to replace, assuming none of the mounting points are damaged. You will need a new latch assembly and likely the brackets that it mounts too. That's where it gets tricky. Those are likely welded into the car, so they need to be straightened properly or cut out and replaced. You may be able to get it close enough if you don't mind uneven panel gaps around the hood.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the AC condenser is damaged as well.

7. 07indurham

07indurham Junior Member

8. 07indurham

07indurham Junior Member

Hey!

This is a long shot, but I'm curious how this worked out for you and what the repair cost. I rear ended a guy a couple of hours ago and I'm steeling myself for the bill. My damage looks pretty similar.

Thanks!
    Liz

9. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Information that is missing is the speed at impact, what was hit (solid or break-away item), and the cause. There is also no mention of any warning lights being triggered by the impact. I agree with going to a reputable body shop (hard to find these days) and getting a free estimate. If it was my vehicle, I would look for used parts the in the same color and do the install myself.