1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair of resonator flange

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My resonator flange broke off while installing a new muffler. The resonator pipe was from a junkyard and was needed after the cat thief cut right next to the resonator. Now I wish I had replaced that section with new but at the time I thought these pipes were bullet proof. Lesson learned

I have a replacement resonator pipe in its way but I am not looking forward to separating the pipe from the cat with it’s slipped in connector and pipe clamp crushing

anyone know of a repair part for just the flange?? 217AF888-B1B8-4898-AE1B-51F2E9E2F675.jpeg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bolt everything up like it goes. The pipe still slipped in the flange the gaskets are all whatever goes there's there and bolted up now drive over to ye Old exhaust shop in the hood and have to lift the mess up and tack around that flange for you simple enough get a guy $20 whatever that should do it they shouldn't take him and take him longer to lift the car up actually. If you're just going to have it like that for a couple of days don't do anything The pipe is still stuck up in there right like buy an inch or so so once your stuff is all up it should naturally stay together when everything is suspended properly a little tiny leak no one's going to care as long as you're not in California you're good to go until you're part comes and then you got nothing to do Lost slip apart don't forget to take the nut inside the flange and the bolt.

3. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part is coming tomorrow, but I was trying to avoid doing this the right way by replacing the whole pipe.

I thought initially you were suggesting a "permanent" fix with some welding, but I think your suggestion was while I was waiting. Luckily I have another Prius to drive while that one sits.

I like the idea of welding... the pipe and flange are in good shape. The damn weld always seems to fail. I think I will bite the bullet and pull the old part off. Maybe share my pain here with some pictures.

On a side note, I have seen just the resonator for sale on Ebay. can't figure out who can use just that part without the rest of the pipe.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was just saying if the pipe penetrated the flange far enough it would hold together while driving etc but and then you can weld it just tack it in two or three places and that car is fixed but I guess you need a resonator or something I get rid of the resonator I make my guy put a pipe from the back of the cat to the cat back pipe if you will That's how we did it on the '05 and I cut out the same resonator I do believe on the '09 they might be laying in the yard and then a pipe goes from the cat straight to the back muffler or you could eliminate that I just didn't get that far and really is pointless on the Prius other than the weight of the two items

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I said the resonators at Big balloon looking thing down from the converter I make sure to get rid of those anytime I get any exhaust work done I just have my buddy take the sawzall and leave an inch and a half of that flange going down towards the resonator and cut that and then he swells the pipe slides over what he just cut and has it bent so that it's going to connect to where he cut the pipe heading back to the muffler done and if I wanted to carry it to the extreme I'd whacked the muffler out but then I have to re-wel the little guides back on to hold it into the rubbers just the raw pipe without the muffler there's no gaines to be had on a Prius doing all this just weight savings. The muffler is kind of heavy 28 lb or something I don't know I haven't actually had the muffler off the Prius to weigh it but they look pretty stout My Corolla won at 12 years old was like a brick or several bricks.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you purchase, repair and resell these cars?

7. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that wasn't meant for me. I don't change anything that comes with these cars. I don't second guess the engineers.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sry, I should have been more specific. Question was meant for @Tombukt2

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I try not to I buy them if they fall into my lap inexpensively enough because I have kids wife and friends that all drive for whoever so I'm kind of stuck as the car guy and yes I do make changes I add battery tender cables and all kinds of stuff especially on my personal driving car now maybe on theirs not so much but on my car the one I drive daily my 09 I've got all kinds of crap in this thing and when I take most of it out you can't even see where it goes but such as life I make them for me to use as in me myself and I. The engineers at Toyota are great they just don't add battery tender cables and other things because they don't want you doing that they want you take it to the Toyota dealer That's the American way well that's somebody's American way not mine

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And it looks like I'll be stuck in prii for a while No apterra . Looks like they're in big trouble

11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the resonator pipe arrived and it is heavy duty.. really nice. unfortuantely it doesn't slip into the aftermarket catalytic converter that I installed, like the OEM resonator pipe did. Hmmm.... maybe they made their pipe to go over the stock CAT pipe (which is the same as the OEM pipe upstream from the resonator. NO. Not really sure what they intended to have that end mate with.. Probably fits their aftermarket CAT, but I don't get why they didn't choose to have compatibility with any OEM pipes.

I pulled the OEM pipe with the busted flange off. May look to take that pipe to an exhaust shop to see if they can weld the flange back on. I will have to look into returning their pipe.

I am first going to call them and see what they intended when the made this pipe.
    06A22646-8D65-489B-94C6-C58C97D07C99.jpeg 998DA639-C281-40AF-934C-7694A6E08197.jpeg

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    An exhaust shop or an exhaust installer is going to have an expander and a compressing tool that can open up that hole or close it down do it to any pipe in the range of his pipe bender's capability it's just how it works that looks like it's made for a 2-in sleeve to fit over it and then the other end of this leave would slide over the pipe that you're offering up and then you would wire feed well that together I'm like you I would have the pipe I just purchased expanded by the exhaust shop so that my pipe factory will slide into that No that isn't right. You need to have the pipe in your car squeezed open to slide over this or this is the resonator so that pipe coming out of the cat needs to be expanded to slide over the picture of your resinator and then the pipe on the other end of the resonator that does the cat back function or the resonator back function needs to be swelled to slip over the other end of this resonator

13. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know an exhaust shop could probably do all kinds of stuff with these pipes but this was supposed to be a DIY job. It was going well with the factory pipes

I may see if I can get someone to weld on that flange to the old pipe after I hear from the exhaust manuf that my only option is changing pipe diameters or adding a coupler

I need to spend money on the front suspension, not this

14. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    try borrowing a pipe expander from Oreillys or Autozone (on any Auto parts), or you might try using pipe adapters and clamps.

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I imagine that resonator pipe will be awfully hard to expand with a hand expander you might do it using an impact gun maybe. The resonator is technically correct it already has swollen in edges it's made for your pipe in the car to slip into. This manufacturer has no way of knowing what the pipe looks like in your car because of other exhaust work possibly done

16. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I now have a couple options. The manuf has agreed to send me a coupler that is the equivalent of a very large band clamp that can join the two sections without having them overlap at all.

The other option is to take my catalytic converter and resonator pipe to my local midas. They said they could do a quick pipe expansion for me on their machines.

I have the manual pipe expander... it will only work to make a pipe round again. no way it will change the size.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The band thing is cheap junk don't even fool with it I have one laying out here in the shop I can take a picture of it for you it's really silly some of the stainless guys have tried this stuff a few times and it's just silly looks retarded sorry for the word but oh well. Take it down to Midas let them expand the pieces they need to expand so they slip inside like they're supposed to in the direction of flow then you have the proper setup slip together no clamps needed if you don't want if they swell your pipe right the Midas guy if he's older guy he'll get it so that it slips together just so you slide that bad boy together in your car and you will not even need a clamp you can put one on there if you want to but that's just you. It'll work beautifully you won't even know what's happening then if you want to one day when you got nothing to do you can drive it by there because you want to and have him see him around those slip joints he made for you probably no reason to do it other than you're there and you think it should be done mine have been left left loose for hundreds of thousands of miles never saw black streak out of any of the joints in rusty Massachusetts no less

18. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't recevied the clamp yet or gone to Midas. I think I will take try midas first. They may not even agree to work on the exhaust.

If I need the clamp at that point, I will have it. There is a chance that the clamp may be pretty sturdy. Their exhaust pipes are pretty impressive.

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah you can look at those steel banded clamps online they'll tell you the gauge and everything they're pretty stout it's just the way they work if anything pulls on the pipe or whatever it can slip out which generally is not going to be happening on a Prius so it'll be just great