1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cutea, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Cutea

Cutea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    I have a 2012 Prius Gen 3 with 71,000 miles on it. I drive a lot (about 25-27,000 miles per year). I recently took my car to the dealership for routine maintenance, and they listed all of these supposed repairs that my car needs and the prices. I want to know if anyone here knows 1) if any/all of these repairs are 100% necessary 2) if the prices are high, and 3) Which (if any) of these repairs is absolutely necessary to do right now? The total cost came to $697.95......

Repairs: Replace hybrid transmission fluid (they tried to scare me and told me that if I don't do this soon, my transmission will fail). Cost: $160.55. PCV valve is "clogged" with sludge, needs to be cleaned. Cost: $117.19. Break fluid needs to be replaced (they told me it was "dirty" and "black".) Cost: $162.79. The "throttle body" needs to be replaced. Cost $160.00.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I love my car, it's been super reliable, and I was shocked to see that I suddenly need to pay this much money for repairs...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) many experts here recommend the trans fluid change, not absolutely necessary though. but $160. is too high. offer them $100., and shop it around if they don't take it. even a local mech can do it with ease. no worries, toyota calls it lifetime, and it should last 150k easily, if you choose not to do it.

2) if the car is running fine, don't bother with the pcv. again their price is too high anyway.

3) brake fluid does not need to be done until 120k i think, check your maintenance manual.

4) there is no need to replace the throttle body.

5) your dealer must need to make a boat payment, i see some beauties in annapolis.:cool:

6) all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Cutea likes this.
  3. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My 2011 has a little over 110k miles on it.

None of those things have been worked on for my vehicle [transmission fluid, PCV valve, break fluid, throttle body].

With my Prius the oil pan gasket has began leaking twice [$1200 to replace each time].

I just had the rear brakes re-done [brake pads and rotor turned] the dealership wanted $300 I had a mechanic do it for $150.

I suggest that you take it to another mechanic and get their advice.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why so much for the oil pan gasket?

5. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    5 hours of bay-time.

6. Cutea

Cutea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your replies, guys! Bisco- the car is definitely running fine. Do you think it may need these repairs because I drive more than average? I actually don't have a repair manual... the car didn't come with one when I purchased it used (it was a fleet vehicle and didn't come with manuals, floor mats, or 2 keys).

7. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You drive less than 30k/year. That is not a lot of driving.

If those things truly need to be done, then someone has NOT been doing the routine servicing.

Get it looked at by someone else who you trust.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, if the car is running fine, the dealer is just trying to clean up your wallet. it happens all the time.

you can get an owners manual online.

Merged.

ouch, do they have to lower the engine?

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BLACK brake fluid? I'll bet a 2 second look at the fluid in the reservoir will confirm that it is not black. If it is, then whatever is in there does need to be changed.

Bring some Ex-Lax with you to the dealer on your next visit and offer it to the Service Writer as that person appears to need some.

dorunron likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All of those services are worthwhile, but they're overcharging for each of them. Also, I doubt you need them all done at once.

Btw, it's very likely throttle body cleaning, not replacement. And it's a simple task, again way overcharged.

11. Cutea

Cutea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually have been getting the car routinely serviced.. Religiously, actually. I have owned the car for exactly 1 year, and I've never had any problems until now... It was my understanding that average driving per American is around 15k/year. So, I drive more than average due to my daily commute to work. I'm planning on taking the car to someone else. A coworker recommended a local mechanic.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't have a problem now, either.