1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repeated EV Battery Pack Problems... What is causing it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Steve O, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Steve O

Steve O New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello all, this is my first post here, I really hope someone can help me.

I purchased a 2007 Prius a few months ago, it had been sitting for about 2 years with dead batteries (every battery). Upon purchasing it I immediately took it to an independent shop who found all battery pack cells to be dead except for 2 as well as the accessory battery. He installed a used battery pack and I purchased a new accessory battery from Toyota in which they installed. Everything was AWESOME for about a month, almost 50 mpg, no major CELs, etc etc (catalytic converter code only), I WAS LOVING PRIUS LIFE!

Then about a month after my dash display started going out intermittently (combination cluster in which I have to replace but haven't got around to it yet).

Soon after the cluster I got the red triangle of death, I took it back to the shop and they replaced the battery pack again. The car was good for about a week this time and the same issue again, Red triangle of death - only run on gas engine, etc. I took the car to him a third time and he looked at it, replaced the battery pack and when through the entire system - replaced a couple of relays that were "corroded" and gave the car back. It was good for about 1 month and yesterday I had the same exact issue come up again. The Indy shop owner said that he thought if this happened again it was a transmission issue... my question is, is this possible? It shifts fine!

Here are the symptoms that I noticed before the red triangle came on this time:

1. battery charge level was jumping up and down (not like crazy, but I predicted the red triangle was going to come on when I saw this happening)

2. Car felt like it was running rough at idle

3. Didn't run on electric as much as it did in the past (and mpg were lower)

That is all I can recall right now, thanks in advance for all your help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i think it's the battery packs he's using. there is no method for refurbing battery packs that is guaranteed to last. so the purchase is only as good as the warranty.
    if you intend to keep the car, you may want to consider a new pack.
    if not, and he won't keep replacing them, you may want to look at alternative vendors.
    all the best!(y)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to find another indy shop that knows more about rebuilding a battery pack. This shop seems to do youtube style module swaps and call that a legitimate repair.

What you're describing is normal for amateurs doing module swaps

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the forum, Steve. I agree with Bisco & JC. Also, it looks like you might have multiple issues with the engine idling roughly. It would be nice to know the specifics of what, if anything, the shop is doing to condition the replacement batteries.

5. Steve O

Steve O New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone! From talking with the Indy shop their method is to take a battery from a wrecked prius (purchased from a salvage yard) and go through and test each battery cell and replace any bad ones with good ones.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's an analogy:

The remote control for your living room TV runs out of batteries. You grab the remote from your bedroom and take out its batteries to replace the living room remote. When it runs out of battery a short time later, you grab the remote from the guest bedroom TV and use its batteries. When the battery fails a 3rd time, do you blame your living room remote for always running out of battery?

Or do you think maybe the source of your battery replacement isn't so good?

Or maybe an even better question, how many times are you going to do this before buying a new battery?

fotomoto likes this.
  7. Steve O

Steve O New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Where is the best place to purchase a new battery, both price wise and warranty wise. By the way mmmodem I like your analogy!

mmmodem likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can buy a new battery from Toyota for approx. $2200 (lowest I've seen) plus $1350 core charge. You get the core charge back when you return your old battery. Standard 1 year warranty. If the dealer installs that pack, you'll get a 3 year warranty. I'm not sure but I'd think you wouldn't have to pay the core charge if doing the latter.

There have been a few reports that Toyota has gotten into the rebuilt game too. IIRC, those batteries, which are cheaper, have a part number that ends with a "-84" suffix.

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to be done with it for a good long while, I agree that your best bet is a new one from Toyota. If you want to take another crack at a fixer-upper, or maybe even salvaging the battery you have, it's not that far to Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.. Todd is a stand up guy who specializes in Gen 2 Prius. After he works on the battery, he grid charges it to get all the cells equal which gives the battery its best chance of holding up longer. Not sure if your guy does that or not. It does greatly extend the life of the battery. He answers some FAQ's here. Hope it's helpful.
    [Edited. Hope I got all the typos this time. :rolleyes:]

#9 jerrymildred, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with jerry, if you don't go new, maybe todd can help, or point you in the right direction.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New battery pack from Toyota is the best option for long term.
    If you can get the car to Tampa Hybrids, his price is much less than the dealer.
    Less than $3,000.

A failing battery pack is like a severely corroded bike chain: Replacing one link in the chain will make the chain whole again, but it is likely that a different link in the chain will fail next. If you replace that link, then a different link fails. Repeat the same scenario over and over.ut
    Paying someone to do this work can get expensive quickly.

On the other hand ,if you are do the work yourself, can be without your car for periods of time, don't mind the car being unreliable, and are enjoying yourself it is fine. But that does not apply to most people.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. Steve O

Steve O New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So there is no truth to the fact that the transmission or transaxle could be causing an issue with the charging system? I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a new battery just to discover that it wasn't the battery all along, it was another part of the car causing the problem.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No truth. If it was bad, it would not last a day

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Transaxle has it's own codes.
    A proper diagnostic service with reading codes and running through the symptoms would confirm the actual problem.

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! I don't think I've ever seen so much consensus on PC in one thread. :D This place rocks.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plenty of good advise, no easy solution.

17. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First replacing single modules in an older HV pack with success either takes alot of skill or alot of luck (remember gambling is an expensive hobby), you choose. I probably sound like a broken record now but everyone having trouble with their battery should be getting themselves setup with a mini VCI that allows them to run the same Techstream software the dealer uses. This way you can see exactly what the issue is and stop wasting your time and money on wild goose chases thrown out there by independent garages in above their head. When you buy used battery packs you should always buy them from a cold climate (heat is the enemy) so getting them from a Florida bone yard is a very bad idea (unless they allow you to fully test the battery, which they usually don't). Once you have the mini VCI check for codes then take a few screenshots of the battery under hard acceleration and at idle and then post them up and we should be able to tell you what's wrong with the Prius quite easily.