1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repeating p0038 after cat theft. Ecu?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acarapella, Apr 11, 2024.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

After replacing a stolen catalytic converter, I am immediately getting P0038. I tried a couple different used oxygen sensors that were absolutely perfect when taking out of the donor Prii.

with the sensor unplugged in the car running I am getting 13.4 on the 20k ohm setting and 13.9volts on the harness going to the ECU

The oxygen sensor is returning a decimal of voltage when running

The heater side of the sensor returns zero ohms, which could be my problem, but as I’m sure you can tell if you made it this far, this is not my specialty

My big question is, what should all these figures be?

And if somehow this thief who stole the catalytic converter shorted the ECU (like if the wires touched or something driving it after it was stolen), am I able to just swap in another ECU from a parts car, or does it need to be programmed? They cut the wires right at the sensor

thanks

#1 acarapella, Apr 11, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0038 indicates too much current flows when the ECM wants to run the sensor heater. A zero-ohm sensor heater would definitely do that. 11 to 16 Ω at 20 ℃ is the spec.

Where are you measuring the resistance? Right at the sensor itself? While it's unplugged? That would have to be a bad sensor, kinda weird.

The other possibility would be a short in the wiring left by the scum who cut it to steal the cat. But in that case you'd see the 0Ω when measuring the harness, or backprobing the sensor while plugged in.

It would be possible for a short to damage the ECM so you'd need to replace that, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion unless you rule out shorted wiring and get a sensor with an 11 to 16 Ω at 20 ℃ heater and still get the code even then.

A replacement ECM shouldn't really need any programming. You might want to check what calibration (firmware) ID is installed in the one you've got, and compare in the replacement (especially if bought used) just to make sure the replacement isn't missing any updates that had been applied to the original.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually I get this code that mention something about the O2 sensor heater when I'm working on cars that have had the catalytic converter stolen and the wires are still cut right there where they took the converter out and they're laying literally on a part of the car like draped over a pie for they're just sitting there I'm working on two cars right now that have both have their converter stolen The people want to get the car running they got codes all over the place and one of the main codes they have is the code for the oxygen sensor the lower one heater circuit something I don't remember exactly what it says I can go look and type it all out but I don't think it's necessary and then I look down and I see the wires are cut this is at a place with a whole bunch of wrecked Prius so I told the guy go get that plug and what's cut on this car from that car over there then we'll splice that in with the little silly splicers and will plug in an O2 sensor from that other car over there so it's a Toyota unit and we'll see then I cleared the codes and rescan the car again while it's just sitting there not on and the code is magically not there for the O2 sensor downstream heater circuit so there's always that The second car over that I'm working on with the same problem bled the brakes and did some other things got everything running it was missing on three cylinders had coils in it that look like they were blowing through the extensions the voltage and trying to ground out on the metal part of the spark plug tubes change the coils out from a car across the lot which had brand new coils in it a name I've never heard of before but they were pretty put them in car runs as smooth as a brand new one. On the second car the code is still there for the oxygen sensor. And I tell the dude we need to straighten that out and he says No I got a customer that needs his car right now will just leave it they've been driving it ever since with no problems getting 44 mi to the gallon driving like morons complete silly people flooring it from every stop light that kind of thing they're just going to leave the wires dangling I imagine.

4. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you both very much for the reply. The biggest thing I am grateful for here is that if I do need to swap the ECU, I don’t have to worry about any immobilizer or Vin shenanigans
    the lowlife cut the wires at the very end of them right at the sensor, and of course the car wasn’t running so Lord willing nothing shorted out, but I did drive it a couple miles with those wires just flying in the wind…

I have a hard time believing I have three bad sensors on my shelf, more digging :-(
    The most frustrating thing about this is that in my wonderful state, even if this guy was caught under the car with the saw in his hands on video with several officers and deputies there on site, with a vehicle registered to him parked there full of other converters , he would get nothing more than an appearance ticket which would get thrown out in court

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I haven't worked on one of these yet where I've had to replace any electronic control modules so that's like I don't know eight cars that we've done semi-extensive work too most of them got replaced batteries and so on almost everyone got to replaced actuator for the brakes etc but we've replaced no ECMs even when we have the heater code for the O2 sensor just splicing in a plug and getting a sensor from another car and making sure that it's plugged in whether it's screwed into the exhaust system or not some of these things are just dangling because these people are putting on straight pipes and whatnot they don't even have a place for the O2 sensor to go unless they're going to eventually go back to a converter and all of that but the discussions I have with most people they're not doing anything like that so there's always that I guess and their cars are running fine getting reasonable gas mileage nothing stellar but nothing poor either kind of seemingly in the middle of the business That's why I haven't really fixed my PO420 on any of our Prius We just leave it doesn't affect gas mileage at all and we don't have to worry about it in the state that I live in The cheap converters no matter what I do with the downstream O2 sensor they don't ever seem to put that PO420 to rest so what's the point

6. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok so I tried a brand new sensor as a control. Didn’t install it in the exhaust, just plugged it in to see. Sadly the engine light comes immediately back on and throws the same code. Again the wiring in the car was untouched so I think I have an ecu issue

everyone is certain that if I throw in a junkyard ecu from a good running car, it doesn’t need programming or anything? Thanks

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Have you run your hand up under the seat and checked the plug that's under the seat just to make sure it's plugged up together or something. There's a rubber gasket usually in the floorboard I don't know if the plug is long enough to pull through the floorboard so you can look at it I would think there should be some cash that you can do on the car side of the plug with the volt and ohm meter I would think that's just really weird because we've had this p code for the heater circuit I had it twice last week and I thought that the heaters go bad in the sensors not that the ECU burns up and can't put the heating circuit on in said sensor

8. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly not the case. I can visibly see the harness - it’s on the side of the exhaust tunnel inside the car under the right side dash. It was not disturbed by the scumbaglooser thief. definitely not the sensor. So if not the 4 sensors I tried or the wire, sadly that tells me ECU

I have a parts car I just need to be sure that the thing doesn’t need programming or anything - that it’s plug and play

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before you did any of that, did you measure the resistance of the brand new sensor's heater? What was the reading? Better not be 0 Ω.

If the new sensor checks out with a reasonable resistance, have you double-checked that the 0 Ω you saw before could not have been a short in the wiring? If you unplug connector E6 at the ECU and then measure between the black +B and green HT terminals at the sensor connector, what is that resistance?

I would at least make that check before swapping the whole ECM.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you leave the O2 sensor unplugged, clear the codes, and then ready up the car - what code sets then?

Yes, the ECM on a Gen2 is plug & play.

If you're careful, you can flip the harness around and plug in the replacement ECM for testing without mounting it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  11. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you!

the sensors test fine sadly. If I clear the codes and start the car I get p0037 which is b1s2 low

12. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so I got 13.4 on the 20k ohm setting and 13.9volts on the harness going to the ECU... are those numbers normal? I jsut dont see how the theft could have damaged the harness or the wiring to the ecu because the harness wasnt even moved from its plastic tab, AND, the wiring of the sensor was cut right at the sensor... I hate to say, i think I am going to swap ECUs =(

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you have a vehicle to swipe it from or whatever go ahead like I say you can flip the plug around and plug it up without removing the other one and see if this is the case I kind of think I don't know what to think at this point but I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to be for the ohm test you run Chapman will know when he comes along and sees it or he has access to look it up quickly somewhere the manual is online and you can look at it as you want I just don't have the link for it there's a bunch of people here that have it and access to it or what have you

14. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LONGEST this car went without a check engine light was 1 second - thats right, clear the codes and CEL back on in under a second. With verified good sensors

Today I swapped in an ECM from a parts car and the CEL has been off ALL DAY =) Happy ending. Thanks all for your help